New Install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Ideally, you could share your /home between PCLinuxOS and Mint.. but if you're a "Newb" (you said it! :)) I wouldn't recommend that. Simply create an ext3 partition for Linux Mint. 10GB should be enough. And you can use the same swap partition as you use for PCLinuxOS.

Now for the bootloader, grub, you can put it in the MBR (hd0) if you want the Mint bootloader to be loaded (it should detect your PCLinuxOs and Windows OS so you shouldn't have to do anything).

Otherwise you can keep the bootloader that you installed with PCLinuxOS but you'll have to update its configuration to add an entry for Linux Mint.

good luck,
Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

Hello. I want to get more info here.. I have a 60 GIG HD with Windows 2000 installed.Would you say to do this? Use the QT Parted disk to make a ten gig partition? Or does the Mint Bea CD have a capabilty to do that? If I use the QT Parted disk to do that.( I am not an expert with this ) Do I set the ten gig partition at the far end away from the Windows load? Give more info here please.----------- Another question.I have an older IBM Netvista A 40 PC with Win 2000 loaded.If I want to add Mint Bea to that hard drive it boots by floppy.Not by CD.Can a floppy be had to boot the Mint on older PCs?If so how?
Telkwa

Post by Telkwa »

Hi, justo -
I spent most of the day yesterday working on two guides, one for making partitions with the GParted LiveCD, and the other for dual-booting PCLinuxOS. The PCLOS part won't help you much, but perhaps you could get something out of the GPLCD part.
I haven't dinked with QParted, just GParted. If you have broadband, downloading the GParted package isn't a big deal. You know how to convert an .iso to a bootable CD, right? Same thing as making a Linux install CD.

Anyway, here's the GParted LiveCD website
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

and here's the forum thread where I posted my how-to's as .pdf's
http://www.techsupportforum.com/alterna ... ux-os.html

In the first how-to (GPLCD) I explain how to make a new primary partition with one Linux install already on the HDD. In the PCLOS guide I detailed how to manage the bootloader. If Mint Linux can handle these bootloader issues automatically, that would be a wonderful thing.

I hope that helps out a little...
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

O, Thanks.I have been doing ISOs a good while now and have both format disk. I just load something like MEPIS 6 then load Mint over it.But I will read the instructions you put up there. Boot floppy?Any easy way to do that?
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

Telkwa wrote:Hi, justo -
I spent most of the day yesterday working on two guides, one for making partitions with the GParted LiveCD, and the other for dual-booting PCLinuxOS. The PCLOS part won't help you much, but perhaps you could get something out of the GPLCD part.
I haven't dinked with QParted, just GParted. If you have broadband, downloading the GParted package isn't a big deal. You know how to convert an .iso to a bootable CD, right? Same thing as making a Linux install CD.

Anyway, here's the GParted LiveCD website
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

and here's the forum thread where I posted my how-to's as .pdf's
http://www.techsupportforum.com/alterna ... ux-os.html

In the first how-to (GPLCD) I explain how to make a new primary partition with one Linux install already on the HDD. In the PCLOS guide I detailed how to manage the bootloader. If Mint Linux can handle these bootloader issues automatically, that would be a wonderful thing.

I hope that helps out a little...
>>>>>>>>>> I went over and signed up at Tech forum.It is a big site.I made a post on how to make a server into a desktop.I hope to find my anser soon.THANKS!

Return to “Installation & Boot”