Replacing iTunes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jonny87

Replacing iTunes

Post by Jonny87 »

What app do people recomend to replace iTunes? I'm wanting something that can make playlists, sync with my i-Pod, and possibly drag playlists on and off my i-Pod.
Have tried Rythmbox and Banshee and am not happy with them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aevum

Re: Replacing iTunes

Post by Aevum »

I heard of some people syncronizing their iPod through Songbird
Jonny87

Post by Jonny87 »

I've now tried Songbird along with Amarock and Listen. Still have had no success with either of these. Maybe I'm missing something abouth the programs but i cant get them to sync with my i-Pod. The most I can get is to have the i-Pod show up in the interface (except with Songbird) and play playlists off them. I cant seem to put current playlist on the i-pod. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

Could be you are looking for an actual sync like iTunes does. I use Rhythmbox, it connects well with the iPod, but it doesn't sync in the conventional sense, it is drag and drop. When you plug in the iPod, you will see the iPod name on the left with your other sources. You go to your music list, select, drag and drop onto the iPod. You want something off the iPod, select the iPod, select your deletions and then delete. Rbox uses the iPod like a an external HDD, I think it's more reliable and quicker than an iTunes sync...
Jonny87

Post by Jonny87 »

OK thanks, I did try Rbox first but didn't have much luck draging things across. Will have another go and try again though. I did prefer Rbox for general playing of music.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

I followed this setting it up and using it. The only difference I noted was that you do not have to close RBox to unmount the iPod. You can click the little down arrow beside the iPod in RBox and select eject, this will unmount the iPod and clear the "Do Not Disconnect" on the iPod... To me, this method is 100% than the iTunes sync. Hope it works for you...

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/03/ho ... in-ubuntu/

Return to “Sound”