Mint darkening out during playback

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pb1051

Mint darkening out during playback

Post by pb1051 »

How can I have the OS not blacken out after the first few minutes after I begin video playback? It only does it once and then not again...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint darkening out during playback

Post by Husse »

Please explain "It only does it once and then not again"
More facts are needed
- please read these simple rules
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Have you tried adding the Inhibit Applet to the panel and using it?
MrD

Post by MrD »

how exactly is that done? I've noticed with VLC that thescreen goes off from time to time. Never figured it being only the once though. Just dealt with it when it happened and put it out of my mind as one more annoyance in life I wasn't prepared to let get at me :)
derbert

Post by derbert »

I am having the same problem about every 5 minutes while watching movies on vlc. On the power settings i put it as always on, 100 % and unchecked dim when idle, but it still fades to black every 5 mins. Obviously unchecking it does not work, is there a command to type in the terminal to stop this from happening. Other than this it is a great install and a great product. GOOD BYE windows.
derbert

Post by derbert »

i think i figured out why it darkens after 5mins. check your screensaver, it will say blank screen and the slider will say 5mins. slide it over to 2hours and it will stop or you can uncheck activate it.
andydch

Post by andydch »

try set Output to X11 video output in Preference > Video > Output

Thanks
timeecho

Post by timeecho »

hmmmmmmmmmm
I assume you checked settings at preferences/power management all tabs huh eh???
MrD

Post by MrD »

I think the point here is the Op wants to have a screensaver active to protect his screen that doesn't activate whilst for example Videolan is playing a movie. I mean, who wants to turn screensaver off, play a video, then remember to turn the screensaver back on! It's not really the easiest method of living with a computer you use for multimedia is it?

Is the method Andydch pointing out the one to use in this instance?
andydch

Post by andydch »

When I play movie on Helena, it is never be interrupted by screen saver,but when I move my mouse pointer over the playing movie the screen going blank. It does on Helena, not on Gloria.

Then I found solution in Indonesian Linux Forum to set the video output to X11, not default. It works.
No blank screen anymore. :D
MrD

Post by MrD »

andydch wrote:When I play movie on Helena, it is never be interrupted by screen saver,but when I move my mouse pointer over the playing movie the screen going blank. It does on Helena, not on Gloria.

Then I found solution in Indonesian Linux Forum to set the video output to X11, not default. It works.
No blank screen anymore. :D
So, what you are saying is that, in default video mode:

1) play videolan in small size, mouse pointer on desktop (not over video window) - screensaver does not come on
2) play videolan in small size, mouse pointer on video window - screensaver comes on.
3) play videolan full screen, mouse pointer is therefore on the video window - screensaver come on.

Action: changing video output to X11 in videolan preferences will fix this issue and allow full screen videolan playing without screensaver coming on.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I am still trying to figure this out - so far no dice
Husse

Post by Husse »

I found this when I searched for a solution to another problem - it can't hurt to try it
I should probably explain that there is a pretty major issue with the clocksource Ubuntu is using, hpet. This particular clocksource was the cause of my system freezing every ten minutes or so.

----------------
Very short English summary in case **** hit the fans outside Finland. :-) If your Ubuntu 9.10 seems to get slower and slower over time, meaning everything from drawing windows to playing video gets laggy and only reboot helps, your computer might have issues with its HPET clock source and/or some peripherals interfere with it. This workaround might fix it for you: in /etc/default/grub change line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to be

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash clocksource=jiffies"

Then enter sudo update-grub and reboot. See if your problems are gone.

http://jaba.mbnet.fi/clocksourcejiffies ... miset-pois

---------------------------------------
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I don't have a problem during video playback(screensaver disabled) but I have a similar problem.

When I return my PC from sleep mode the screen dims down(every time it wakes).

It's annoying having to mess with the brightness settings each time I wake the PC.

I have an Nvidia chipset 128MB (shared)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think a solution or at least workaround is found in this topic (towards the end)
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I think I'll quote your signature on this one lol

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it"

The video playback is a bit wierd for me I just skip some frames and its to the point it's obvious but it doesn't make the video un playable.

The blackening out doesn't occure with videos or any other thing with me only when I wake from Sleep.

I have Linux Mint 8 Helena Gnome Installed on a HP DV6700 Rumor is HP made some wierd custom driver for this version of they're laptop maybe thats what it is?

I remember when I first Got this machine and Windows Update automaticaly downloaded a newer version of the Nvidia Driver my PC would randomly (in windows) black out it turns out it happened becuase HP had a custom driver out for this model and the normal Nvidia driver cuased conflicts. It totally made all these rainbow colors during a Zsnes game session then frooze my PC. I almost thouaght my PC was going to die until I downloaded the Nvidia Driver off HP's site. HP is the worst company ever, they're own OS won't even let me burn recovery DVD's it stopped after burning the 2nd or 3rd disc. This company has the worst customer support (Seriously I got hung up on a few times). HP wasted 2 of my DVD's then spat out some random error as to why it can't finish burning the Recovery Discs(that aren't included btw). If my hard drive ever fails I'm screwed. Hp is a crazy company. Linux Mint works pretty good on this Notebook / Laptop. wich is cool seeing as they randomly alter Nvidia drivers to the point where nvidia's website drivers will crash my PC and black it out every 15min (in windows). =s

As for the video in linux- It could be anything. The results you gave me are talking about Video play back issues. My issue in video (I commented some where else about it) is the awckward frame skipping thing that occurs when theres alot of action on screen. As for the dimming I won't experiment with it yet. It's only a wake up issue when comming out of SLeep Mode. When i log in things are fine, when i reboot no probs, when i put it to sleep in Mint... it just wakes up half dim and I just hit FN and the light up button. Odd, annoying, waste of time to re-light up the pc manually, it makes no sense, but not worth me messing with it and breaking something else, eh? :?

Return to “Sound”