[SOLVED] Flathub packages in linux mint.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sip
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Flathub packages in linux mint.

Post by sip »

Hi friends. :)
I love stability, I really love deb packages for their convenience, correctness and accuracy. It is my opinion. :) The question concerns flathub packages, namely, will LM switch to flathub in the future??
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Man is created for happiness, like a bird for flight, so do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Flathub packages in linux mint.

Post by motoryzen »

how will the crush actively integrate these packages into the LM system??
the crush? I don't understand what you mean or are asking?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:51 am
how will the crush actively integrate these packages into the LM system??
the crush? I don't understand what you mean or are asking?
:) The question is about the flathub packages, namely will LM switch to flathub in the future and only use flathub?? :) :D
Man is created for happiness, like a bird for flight, so do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

sip wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:54 am :) The question is about the flathub packages, namely will LM switch to flathub in the future and only use flathub?? :) :D
Unless debian do it first then i believe Mint will still have the option to use debian repo. However Ubuntu is trying next LTS release cycle to have an all snap edition, time will tell if all Ubuntu flavors will be forced to snap, if that happen then i believe Mint will rely heavily on flathub as the packages there are always up to date and majority are directly maintained by their respective devs.
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

Midnight True wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:54 am
sip wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:54 am :) The question is about the flathub packages, namely will LM switch to flathub in the future and only use flathub?? :) :D
Unless debian do it first then i believe Mint will still have the option to use debian repo. However Ubuntu is trying next LTS release cycle to have an all snap edition, time will tell if all Ubuntu flavors will be forced to snap, if that happen then i believe Mint will rely heavily on flathub as the packages there are always up to date and majority are directly maintained by their respective devs.
Hello Midnight True. :) Regarding Debian, there are many doubts that they will switch to flathub. This is how Ubuntu will switch to flathub, I agree 100%. I'm not a fan of flathub packages. The development prospects of my beloved Mint keep me asking more questions like this about tomorrow!! My main system on all my computers is 50% Mint and 50% Debian. The latter is more predictable to me. This is my opinion, although I may be wrong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

sip wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:29 am ... I love stability, I really love deb packages for their convenience, correctness and accuracy....
Interestingly, many .deb packages can decrease stability.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

sip wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:19 am This is how Ubuntu will switch to flathub, I agree 100%.
I am sorry but i am confused. Ubuntu is going full snap and not using flatpak (and by extension flathub).

This is Mint's dilemma, if Ubuntu is hard pressing Snap they will definitely tweak the kernel to go well with snap. On the other hand Mint as based on Ubuntu but do not like snap, will weed out the aforementioned tweak to prevent snap. This will most likely result to an unstable system.
Does for me the exact question is will Mint Ubuntu survive or be replaced with LMDE? but on both case there is certain, flatpak and thus flathub will be an important source of acquiring applications and i believe the better successor for PPA.
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

Midnight True wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:28 am
sip wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:19 am This is how Ubuntu will switch to flathub, I agree 100%.
Does for me the exact question is will Mint Ubuntu survive or be replaced with LMDE? but on both case there is certain, flatpak and thus flathub will be an important source of acquiring applications and i believe the better successor for PPA.
I agree with you!
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

will LM switch to flathub in the future??
What do you mean by "switch"?

Flathub only concerns (GUI) applications, not the kernel, library packages, basic tools and utilities, etc. No Linux system can exist without "normal" (non-Flathub) packages.

By "switch" do you mean "switch from Deb packages to Flathub packages for all the Flathub packages, where it's possible to switch to the Flathub version" or something like that?

Because most packages do not have a Flathub version. There are thousands of packages without a Flatpak version.

Also, switching a large number of packages from Deb to Flatpak would be a massive amount of work for the Mint team.

Consider the apps that Mint comes with. They certainly cannot put those Flatpaks into their ISO, the size would be massive.

Anyway I don't really understand the question... :lol:
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

spamegg wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:42 am

Flathub only concerns (GUI) applications, not the kernel, library packages, basic tools and utilities, etc. No Linux system can exist without "normal" (non-Flathub) packages.

By "switch" do you mean "switch from Deb packages to Flathub packages for all the Flathub packages, where it's possible to switch to the Flathub version" or something like that?

Because most packages do not have a Flathub version. There are thousands of packages without a Flatpak version.

Also, switching a large number of packages from Deb to Flatpak would be a massive amount of work for the Mint team.

Consider the apps that Mint comes with. They certainly cannot put those Flatpaks into their ISO, the size would be massive.

It's good that you expressed your opinion on a question you did not understand!!!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

sip wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:54 am

It's good that you expressed your opinion on a question you did not understand!!!
You're the one lacking understanding here :wink:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sip wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:54 am It's good that you expressed your opinion on a question you did not understand!!!
You could also try answering the questions that the poster asked you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Big hint ah...you're the one who didn't understand what was going on. Might make more sense to not make a statement that makes you look like your bragging HOUSE Md style until you're the one being most accurate.

So..sorry . Sip, but Hoser Bob is right.

Also, I can tell you from enough time and experience years on end.. seeing how many spamegg has helped on this site, that spamegg has proven to be helpful and valuable to this forum community site.

You were the one asking for general thoughts on this topic, remember? Unless you know it all or enough, and in that case, why did you even ask for help regarding Flathub packages in Linux Mint?

Now. I'm guessing the main point of your topic/question was whether or not Mint will switch to EXCLUSIVELY....AKA ..ONLY...dealing with Flathub apps/packages and not deal with .deb apps/packages anymore

If that is the question...then I doubt it...at least...any time soon. .deb is a cornerstone/stable of the Linux Debian-distro based world and has been for literally well over 15 years now easily.

Beyond that, I don't know and only the devs involved in Mint and probably Ubuntu would know. ..I'd wager.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:05 am

You're the one lacking understanding here :wink:
Hello! You are probably right!.. :) :wink:
sip
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sip »

motoryzen wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:57 pm
Big hint ah...you're the one who didn't understand what was going on. Might make more sense to not make a statement that makes you look like your bragging HOUSE Md style until you're the one being most accurate.

So..sorry . Sip, but Hoser Bob is right.

Also, I can tell you from enough time and experience years on end.. seeing how many spamegg has helped on this site, that spamegg has proven to be helpful and valuable to this forum community site.

You were the one asking for general thoughts on this topic, remember? Unless you know it all or enough, and in that case, why did you even ask for help regarding Flathub packages in Linux Mint?

Now. I'm guessing the main point of your topic/question was whether or not Mint will switch to EXCLUSIVELY....AKA ..ONLY...dealing with Flathub apps/packages and not deal with .deb apps/packages anymore

If that is the question...then I doubt it...at least...any time soon. .deb is a cornerstone/stable of the Linux Debian-distro based world and has been for literally well over 15 years now easily.

Beyond that, I don't know and only the devs involved in Mint and probably Ubuntu would know. ..I'd wager.
Hello.
Yes, this is a simple question, will mint switch to Flathub packages in the future...! Whoever did not understand and expressed his opinion, that is also GOOD!!. But why such WAVES IN THE OCEAN,,! GENTLEMEN.!?? Topic buried thanks everyone!! :)
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Flathub packages in linux mint.

Post by motoryzen »

will mint switch to Flathub packages in the future
And midnight true answered your question..yet YOU'RE the one that wanted to either be too vague in spelling out what the real clarity of your question was...or argue with everything everyone here replied with

Move on. This isn't the place to cause problems. I'm out of this nonsense.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Here's the problem. The reason he didn't understand the question is that it made no sense.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”