dual boot failed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snodgrss1984

dual boot failed

Post by snodgrss1984 »

i used live cd and made a half and half install everything went well and windows xp is still there the problem is now whenever i try to run windows xp it loads for 5 seconds blue screens and restarts what happend
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: dual boot failed

Post by remoulder »

More information is needed, please read the link in the Red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

sorry it is main edition i installed side by side but cant boot into xp
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

linux mint 8 side by side installed all updates and i cant think of anymore info
breaker

Post by breaker »

Tell us the story of the install... did you already have unpartitioned space then added Mint? Did you resize in windows, did you resize in the installer, did you use a 3rd party resize? One hard disk, two? What kind of PC? Uses PC-BIOS, or EFI/GPD?

Try a chkdsk with proper switches from recovery console or BartPE disc.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

it is a toshiba laptop m35 and i partitioned with the live cd with side by side
breaker

Post by breaker »

Boot to a Windows XP recovery console, assuming your XP is on drive C: do this from the console:

Code: Select all

chkdsk C: /p /r
reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Reboot and do it again, just to be sure.

When the installer repartitioned, something went wrong, as you know. Whenever an ntfs volume is resized, it needs a disk check, but if for some reason Windows doesn't do it automatically, or can't do it, you can run into problems.

Also, it is best to defrag in safe mode before running the Mint installer.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

ok that sounds good how do i get into the recovery console with grub
breaker

Post by breaker »

You need an XP install or recovery console CD. If you don't have a Windows XP CD, google recovery console iso, burn it, boot to it (BIOS settings must be set to boot to CD-ROM), press "R" when you see the option to do so, it will have you pick and login to your Windows account (you need an administrator account), then run the command. If you need more help, search google, or support.microsoft.com for Windows XP recovery console and chkdsk.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

ok and will i still have linux and xp back then
breaker

Post by breaker »

Yes. It just helps fix your windows ntfs file system, it doesn't affect Linux.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

awesomeness thank you
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Most Toshiba laptops have Windows pre-install on C: drive plus two other hidden Primary partitions ( a back up , and a Toshiba special menu ). This means that to dual boot , you should resize C: drive ,, and use the new empty space as an extended partition, and within it create Logical Partitions for Linux.
Linux Mint is best inmstall on three Logical Pagrtitions , one for root (/) , one for Swap , and the last for User data mounted on /home .

Reduce your C: drive first using Windows own Disk Management then re-boot Windows to do a file check . Then use a Linux partitioner such as GPartEd gto set up your Linukx Logical partitions.
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

dont know how to use windows management and boot disk did not work so i installed windows and then easus todo backup and am restoring in the boot cd thank you still
snodgrss1984

Post by snodgrss1984 »

on this computer i will keep linux and then wait for install inside windows for the lts to get both back my other will just be linux :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”