[SOLVED] Cannot boot into Helena

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skambale

[SOLVED] Cannot boot into Helena

Post by skambale »

It seems like after a recent upgrade of the Grub to 1.98 experimental the grub file got screwed up and i could not boot into any OS since.
For all the 3 OS, it says error: file not found

Setup is as follows
80GB HDD1 - Windows, 320GB HDD2 ==> Gloria LM 7 x64 + Helena LM 8 x32

I was able to run a SuperGrub disk and fix the Grub to be able to boot into LM7.
But now the Grub cannot even recognize LM8. Even after doing a grub-update from LM7 which found kernel of LM8 i am not able to boot into LM8 because i am trying to boot into a 32bit OS using 64 bit kernel (i digged that up using the loop error seen in recovery mode)

What i noticed is that the grub in LM8 is now grub.cfg file while LM7 is still menu.lst.

Need tips to get back to LM8.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeff91

Re: Cannot boot into Helena

Post by Jeff91 »

What does your partition layout/menu.list/grub.cfg look like? To find the first of these run

Code: Select all

df -h
in terminal and post the out put here. When you boot you see your menu.lst entries correct? This means that legacy grub is being used as your boot loader - we just need to point it to grub2/mint8

EDIT: Also you might want to look into The Grub2 Basics it really is better than legacy grub.

Regards,
~Jeff
skambale

Post by skambale »

here is the df -h output

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb7 19G 4.2G 14G 25% /
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 2.0G 300K 2.0G 1% /var/run
varlock 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /var/lock
udev 2.0G 160K 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 2.0G 96K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
lrm 2.0G 2.7M 2.0G 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
/dev/sr1 4.4M 4.4M 0 100% /media/CDROM
/dev/sdb5 258G 135G 124G 53% /media/HDD2
/dev/sdb8 21G 13G 6.7G 66% /media/Mint 8
/dev/sda1 75G 38G 38G 51% /media/Windows

I see grub1 menu and it seems like it also recognized Mint 8 although it displays it as "Linux Mint 7 Gloria x64 bit generic pae" I get to the LM8 icon but it hangs there.

Attached is the menu.lst
skambale

Post by skambale »

ok..i fixed this.
modified the menu.lst to point to /sdb8 for first two options. booted into recovery mode for Helena and did a grub recovery.

Return to “Installation & Boot”