Ubuntu boots -- Mint does not (SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polyjuice

Ubuntu boots -- Mint does not (SOLVED)

Post by polyjuice »

I am trying to boot a LiveDVD Mint 8 on a machine that has Ubuntu 9.10 installed on it, but an having no success. The LiveDVD is good because it loads on my laptop with no problems. The machine I'm trying to load on is an old IBM Netvista with 2g memory and a Nvida GF 7300 video card. I should also mention that this machine had Windows XP on it then I dual-booted Ubuntu on it. I liked Linux so much that I then dedicated the machine to Ubuntu. I mention all this because I think my problem is a video problem because I think Mint completes booting-up, but the display is black. Here's what happens when I try to boot the LiveDVD.

1. I get the Auto Boot in second.... screen
2. Then I get two lines of info about Casper loading followed by Ready
3. Then I see the LM splash screen for about 1 minute and the DVD is doing lots of seeking
4. The screen goes black and the DVD continues seeking for about another minute

That's all I ever get. I need your help - carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ubuntu boots -- Mint does not

Post by Midnighter »

Have you tried hitting a key at boot to see the options menu and choosing Safe Boot?
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

Midnighter, no I had not tried the various boot-up modes. Just finished with the various options.

Compatibility mode provided screens and screens of info, but when all finished - black screen

OEM install mode provided same results as normal boot-up - black screen

Check CD - no errors found

Memory test found no errors - I ran it for about 5 minutes

Boot from local drive provided Ubuntu

thanks - regards - carl
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

Midnighter, sorry I forgot to mention that I am not offered a "safe mode" boot option.

regards - carl
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

I seem to remember having a simular problem to get around it on the boot menu I used options and tuned off apcid and something else that is close to that can't remember what but in my case I believe it was the 1st 3 options starting at the top of the list. Then the CD would boot.

Sorry I can't be more specific only happened once to me but I was able to then boot into the liveCD
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

This problem was resolved by:

1. Reconfiguring xserver-xorg
2. Loading latest NVIDIA drivers
3. Executing nvidia-xconfig to update xorg driver pointer

Most of the instructions on how to do this were found on Google with a "mint nvidia" search.

regards - carl
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

polyjuice wrote:This problem was resolved by:

1. Reconfiguring xserver-xorg
2. Loading latest NVIDIA drivers
3. Executing nvidia-xconfig to update xorg driver pointer

Most of the instructions on how to do this were found on Google with a "mint nvidia" search.
this doesn't make sense with what you wrote first. you're trying to boot off a livecd/dvd, so how can you reconfigure xserver-xorg if the disk won't let you boot properly?
polyjuice

Post by polyjuice »

Leppie, I actually installed Mint even though it gave only a black screen. What was happening was Mint was continuing to boot-up with no display. I then went to tty1 and did the reconfiguration and installation of the driver. As I mentioned I got the idea and suggestion by reading lots of Google hits from "Mint Nvidia"

regards - carl

Return to “Installation & Boot”