Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” KDE Community Edition. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 KDE CE, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1265

Clem
schpunty
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE released!

Post by schpunty »

I am currently running it and I must say, what a superb job you all have done!
I bow in reverence.
Bless you all!
martosurf

Post by martosurf »

schpunty wrote:I am currently running it and I must say, what a superb job you all have done!
I bow in reverence.
Bless you all!
That's a tipical Linux Mint user quote, cool :lol:

Waiting for the x64
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Wow!! Another "out of the box" experience.

Awesome job, guys. :P Clem, this OS working "outta the box" thing is becoming a habit with you. :lol:
Last edited by vrkalak on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Downloading it now for the laptop. Only 14 hours to go. (Oh, for infrastructure in Honduras! :( )

Eagerly anticipating the 64-bit KDE for my big computer.
mintuser777

Post by mintuser777 »

Thall all the guys who worked for this Release. Keep up the good work..Congrats :)

PS: Are there major improvements over the RC1? I am currently running RC1.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Oh Happy Day :D
richie43

Post by richie43 »

Is it possible to upgrade from the wonderful rc1 or do I need to do a clean install? The rc1 is awesome! Thanks.

Rich
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I do not think there are major changes/fixes from the RC.
so just upgrade. (once i have the mint updates in the repo).

only "big" change is a new usplash look.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
pascoa341

Post by pascoa341 »

About to start my Linux career with this one! Well done all who made it, it looks and works great out of the box already!
richie43

Post by richie43 »

Thanks. By "upgrade" do you mean "update"? Excuse my ignorance, but is there a difference? Thanks.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D
If you use Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta and have a Intel sound card, you must be hearing a popping sound every now and then. This is a known bug and here is a temporarily solution for it.

Press Alt + F2 and type:

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

And comment (add a "#" in front of it) the last line called "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10". Basically, this is how the line should look after editing it:

#options snd-hda-intel power_save=10

Then save the file.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

mmesantos1 wrote:Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D
If you use Ubuntu Karmic Koala beta and have a Intel sound card, you must be hearing a popping sound every now and then. This is a known bug and here is a temporarily solution for it.

Press Alt + F2 and type:

And comment (add a "#" in front of it) the last line called "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10". Basically, this is how the line should look after editing it:

Then save the file.
This isn't the right thread for this kind of question, but you can simply substitute "kate" or "kwrite" for "gedit. Any text editor should do the trick. You just need to run it as root.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

gravelbay wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:Ok, downloaded Mint 8 KDE Final and was going to fix popping sound with steps given and unable to bring up alsa-base.conf with the given command. Seing how gedit is for gnome is there another command for KDE? I listed steps that were given below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :D

Press Alt + F2 and type:

Then save the file.
This isn't the right thread for this kind of question, but you can simply substitute "kate" or "kwrite" for "gedit. Any text editor should do the trick. You just need to run it as root.
Thanks, did not see bug thread for KDE final release. I browsed to the file as root in dolphin and now I fixed the issue. The OP of the fix might want to update his info for someone who may not know how to browse the the file and then edit. In any case it is resolved. :)
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Just a small point of etiquette, gravelbay and mmesantos1. It's generally considered good form only to quote the specific part(s) of a post that you're making reference to in your reply. Makes for much easier reading of a thread. :)
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

I got poked with this info on Facebook! Well done everybody!! :D Superb job
momint

Post by momint »

New in Linux, I hope I will get good experience with Mint.
newonlinux

Post by newonlinux »

After several attempts over the years,here I am again trying this linux feeling...hope I will not punch my monitor in the "face",like i did with suse,fedora, ubuntu.(vga driver issues)
Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
Installed it, runs fine. BUT...still no sound in Firefox flash (youtube). Amarok runs fine.
condowax

Post by condowax »

newonlinux wrote:After several attempts over the years,here I am again trying this linux feeling...hope I will not punch my monitor in the "face",like i did with suse,fedora, ubuntu.(vga driver issues)
Linux Mint 8 "Helena" KDE
Installed it, runs fine. BUT...still no sound in Firefox flash (youtube). Amarok runs fine.
You should try running alsamixer in konsole and raising the PCM bar to max. This fixed this issue for me.
Plymouth

Post by Plymouth »

This will sound like an odd question, and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but here goes anyway...

Is there a way to temporarily revert to the old window manager etc used in Linux Mint 7?

The new shiny snazzy flashy look is great, but I have an emulator that is esssential to me, that does not run correctly on Mint 8. (The windows and icons are way too large, so that I can only see around 1/4 of the screen!)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”