Streaming Radio on Mint 8

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Streaming Radio on Mint 8

Post by craig10x »

Hi:
I tried this in the newbies questions...but it didn't quite resolve the issue....I've used Ubuntu before (8.10 and 9.04) and when i tried Mint 8, i found that with the codecs it provides, there is a big problem when you do to streaming radio at the station's websites...example kabc radio...wls radio...wmal radio...etc....
What happens is that it takes like 1 minute 30 seconds or sometimes even as long as 2 minutes for the station to finally load in completely and start to play...
And yet, on the actual Ubuntu version...after you add in the gstreamer codecs (3 in all) streaming radio at the radio station's websites, will load in less then 3 SECONDS....
I couldn't find the gstreamer plug in on Mint's package manager that was available in Ubuntu's and finally gave up in frustration and installed the actual Ubuntu 9.10 on my computer....now no problem of course...
Hasn't anyone else noticed that problem in Mint??? Has anyone ever found a work around plug-in available in the Mint package manager, that would solve that problem and make the streaming radio stations load in as quick as they do in Ubuntu? If so...what worked?

Secondly...the other thing i noticed (this issue doesn't relate directly to multimedia) it seemed that when i had Mint 8 on here, that font rendering looked a bit different on Mint then it does on Ubuntu...things looked an edge "softer" and the type faces looked a bit different....in Ubuntu it seems to look a bit sharper and nicer font rendering...anyone else notice this and know the reason for that?

Thanks in advance for any feedback...it was a bit of a let down for me...as i wanted to go with Mint 8 (instead of 9.10) since i really like what they do with Mint....but those 3 issues got me a bit discouraged and that is why i went back to 9.10.... :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Streaming Radio on Mint 8

Post by vrkalak »

I usually, listen to 'streaming' radio in Mint.

Audacious2 is 'my' default player. The Audacious2 launcher is docked on my Xfce panel.
I have Mint-8 with Xfce desktop installed over Gnome. I, also, have 'preload' installed.

I didn't have to install or change any of the default Codecs in Mint.

No problems, usually my music is up and running in less than 5 seconds.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Secondly, I work with art, rendering and lettering all day long.
I haven't noticed any differences in Fonts or font sharpness -- from Mint-8 and Xubuntu Lucid 10.04 (A2)
Of course, I have a super monitor (1920x1200) ... the detail is Awesome, either way.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My Streaming Radio, through either, Audacious2 or Exaile ... does start up in under 3 seconds. I tested it.
Using my Mint-8 with Xfce installed over Gnome.

I closed the various Music Player applications, and re-opened them (several times) ... worked!
I re-started the desktop (more than once) ... worked!
Re-booted the comp (twice) ... worked!

Steaming Radio, always started up in 3 seconds or less. :P Go, Mint!!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Ah...but what about if you actually go to a radio stations website (for example KABC radio in Los Angeles) and click on "listen live" button so that their radio tuner opens....That's where i have noticed the problem.....On Ubuntu the station comes in...in about 3 seconds....on Mint it came in...in about 1 minute and 50 seconds (could have went for coffee...lol)....anyone have a solution for that (other then using a shoutcast tuner, exaile, audacious, etc...

How come the codec in Ubuntu has no problem with the radio stations website tuner and Mint does???

Return to “Sound”