Promise I did my due dilligence!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonymacmadcap

Promise I did my due dilligence!

Post by jonymacmadcap »

Hi all,
TOTAL noob here. I did my preliminary search here to see what I could find, I am having trouble with two things.

1ST: I am having trouble getting my Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP (S5500) to be seen by my machine. I did gut Windows all together and have been looking for some type of generic driver for the web cam. Any advice/help here?

Also, I seem not to be able to get Skype to run properly. I loaded the ubuntu version for the standard 32 bit machine and it is there, I can log in, but there are missing options that would allow me to seek out contacts etc. It feels incomplete, maybe I am wrong and need the cam operational or something before all functionality is there.....Pretty confused here.

I am on a Sony VGN A270P and running Helena if this helps.

Again any handholding and / or help in this would be much appreciated.

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Promise I did my due dilligence!

Post by dawgdoc »

jonymacmadcap wrote:
1ST: I am having trouble getting my Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP (S5500) to be seen by my machine. I did gut Windows all together and have been looking for some type of generic driver for the web cam. Any advice/help here?
John
To help with the 1st issue:
Plug in the Webcam. Open a terminal -- Menu > Terminal and enter

Code: Select all

lsusb
Then copy and paste in this thread. Control C will not work to copy. After selecting the response to the command, right click for the context menu which has a copy option. You should receive an answer somewhat like this.

Code: Select all

dawgdoc@dawgdoc-laptop ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:08dd Logitech, Inc. QuickCam for Notebooks
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
I tested the function of my webcam by installing an application named Cheese. I have not used Skype, so will be unable to help with the configuration.

Return to “Beginner Questions”