Update to Grub 2-Will it include the Windows option?[SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Update to Grub 2-Will it include the Windows option?[SOLVED]

Post by sdim »

Hi,everyone.
Just this morning I downloaded via the Update Manager,the new Grub version.
After restarting the system,I got a prompt telling me to give a command if everything works fine with the new Grub:

Code: Select all

When you have verified GRUB 2 works, you can use this command to
complete the upgrade:  upgrade-from-grub-legacy
I chose to boot using the new Grub,but when I get to a new screen that includes my Mint 8 options,there is not one for Windows (I have a dual boot system).
What now?Should I keep the new Grub,although I don't know how to manually insert the Windows boot option?
Should I keep the old one,and how?
Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
Aging Technogeek

Re: Update to Grub 2-->Will it include the Windows choice?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Boot into Mint and run

sudo update-grub
This will allow the Grub 2 config system to find and add your Windows partition to the boot menu.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Update to Grub 2-->Will it include the Windows option?

Post by sdim »

Many thanks,Aging Technogeek,but nothing changed.
I still have no Windows option in Grub 2 menu.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Keep the old one!

One day grub2 will work properly, but that day is a long way away.
lanternflower

Post by lanternflower »

sdim wrote:Hi,everyone.
Just this morning I downloaded via the Update Manager,the new Grub version.
After restarting the system,I got a prompt telling me to give a command if everything works fine with the new Grub:

When you have verified GRUB 2 works, you can use this command to
complete the upgrade:  upgrade-from-grub-legacy
I chose to boot using the new Grub,but when I get to a new screen that includes my Mint 8 options,there is not one for Windows (I have a dual boot system).
What now?Should I keep the new Grub,although I don't know how to manually insert the Windows boot option?
Should I keep the old one,and how?
Many thanks in advance.
Yes I had the same problem. Mint spotted my windows partition asked about importing goodies from it and then proceeded to omit it completely from the boot menu! I then thought "no problem, I just need to update my grub menu?".
Of course it wasn't that simple as everything has changed in grub2.

Theres a thread above this one that is a sticky that has a link to tell you how to do it.
It's called "good info installing grub2 and recognizing windows partition".
This fixed it for me thankfully!
When you have clear instructions like that it's easier to get it to work.

Having said all that, is there a reason you want to have grub2? It's a boot loader after all and as long as it is happily booting your system do you really need a super duper one that toasts your mashmellows or something?

The new grub seems a bit of a nightmare to me, it seems to take the menu options out of one file and spread them out into subdirectories and anywhere else they might be hard to find but maybe I am just used to the old one.
Maybe we will all get used to the new one and decide it is the best thing since toasted muffins. Who knows?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

sdim wrote:Many thanks,Aging Technogeek,but nothing changed.
I still have no Windows option in Grub 2 menu.
was grub legacy removed from your system? both grub legacy and grub2 use the "update-grub" command...
nukm

Post by nukm »

Why would anyone want to use an apha/beta release boot loader?
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

nukm wrote:Why would anyone want to use an apha/beta release boot loader?
which boot loader are you using?
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks,all.
lanternflower:I did what I read in the wiki you suggested,but although now I see the Windows entry in the Grub 2 menu,when I select to boot Windows,I get a message saying:

Boot MGR missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

sdim wrote:Many thanks,all.
lanternflower:I did what I read in the wiki you suggested,but although now I see the Windows entry in the Grub 2 menu,when I select to boot Windows,I get a message saying:

Boot MGR missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart
you may have to recover the boot manager with your windows cd. if you don't have the installation disk, you can download the vista or 7 recovery disk here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/

if you want someone to analyse your situation better, please download and run this script and post the results: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Here's what happened:
1)I have two Windows partitions,not because I wanted to,but because the Seven installer made them when I installed Windows.
I added the UUID number of the biggest partition,but that didn't seem to be the one MGR was installed on,so I changed the UUID number to the one of the other Windows partition (100 MB) that I assumed contained the MGR,and it looks like I was right.
2)Also,I had to alter the letters inside the UUID to lower case ones,as suggested.
3)After that,I ran "upgrade-from-grub-legacy",but at a certain moment I didn't notice that I had to press the Space bar to select the HD on which to install Grub 2,so I got an "error 15" message when I tried to boot.
4)I followed thishttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Err15to restore the error,and it worked.

Many thanks for all the help.
breaker

Post by breaker »

lanternflower wrote: Having said all that, is there a reason you want to have grub2? It's a boot loader after all and as long as it is happily booting your system do you really need a super duper one that toasts your mashmellows or something?
:lol:

You can just use grub device names instead of UUIDs in most cases also, which means search is not used.
nukm

Post by nukm »

@Leppie

I use Grub or Lilo - depends on what I'm doing. I don't use something simply because Ubuntu includes it. When only Ubuntu is available, I start using Macs. Or an abacus. :lol:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

nukm wrote:When only Ubuntu is available, I start using Macs. Or an abacus. :lol:
Hey, I agree with that my friend.

There is a problem though. Apparently the ancient Sumerians forgot to patent the abacus, so Microsoft took out a patent for it sometime in the late 90's as it was gaining too much ground against Windows ME :shock: So now the only abacuses you can buy are made by Microsoft!

You are only licensed to use them in one room, and if you sell them on you have to take all the beads off first :lol: :lol:
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

nukm wrote:@Leppie

I use Grub or Lilo - depends on what I'm doing. I don't use something simply because Ubuntu includes it. When only Ubuntu is available, I start using Macs. Or an abacus. :lol:
i don't care much for ubuntu. i used to love lilo, but grub2 is much more powerful. if you think grub2 came from ubuntu... guess again... ubuntu is debian based... and i love debian :P
and linux mint is an ubuntu distro... so don't really understand what you guys are talking about...
but if you see it like this: grub is like going by horse... initially you do not read that much to get going (just jump on and go). grub2 is like a ferrari, you need to know a couple of things before you can get going, but it's much more powerful once going ;)
nukm

Post by nukm »

Viking777 -

One does not mind folk trying something new as long as it is proven. But, when something is made default in an alpha/beta state (9.10 has Grub1.97 beta 4) and folk point out that it is a pain and broken, what is not liked is the mantra that everything is "OK".

A person who can read could install Slackware 13 and have Lilo auto configured in the time it would take to read the fixes to Grub2 disastrous workings.

Thus, the conclusion is that Grub2 was inserted as an irritant and to detract mightily from the "ease of Linux" experience. The schizoid behavior on the part of the Canonical crowd who have claimed to have the desktop that is the "Windows-killer" proves their neurotic state of mind.

Unless, unless they are actually agents of that Redmond monster.

I imagine that they will maintain that they are sane, so....

Now, one might expect some of that foolishness from Fedora (testbed for RedHat) or openSUSE (testbed for Novell SLED) but Ubuntu is testbed for Zero and is touted as end-user friendly.

Return to “Installation & Boot”