ssh-agent?? SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdquince

ssh-agent?? SOLVED

Post by mdquince »

in system monitor there are a couple of processes I have idea what they are. one is ssh-agent. what is that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: ssh-agent??

Post by viking777 »

Hmm? OK here we go. I don't know what ssh-agent does specifically, but I do know what ssh does, it allows you to remotely connect to your computer (usually a server) through a terminal.

Since a large part of the Linux commercial market is on servers, it makes sense to include this program by default, but unfortunately, as clever as it is, any program that allows you to remotely connect to another machine is nirvana for crackers. If you can do it, then eventually, so can they. Thus, ssh is a major attack vector for anyone who might wish to compromise your system.

So you have to ask yourself a few questions. Are you running a remote server? Are you ever going to run a remote server? Will you ever wish to remotely connect to your computer through a command line interface?

If the answer to all these questions is no, then you don't need ssh in any way, shape or form.

So what you do is this. Open your package manager and enter 'ssh' into the 'search' window. If you have any package installed that includes ssh (probably openssh-client) then right click the package and elect to 'completely remove' it.

Your computer will be safer as a result of this action.
mdquince

Post by mdquince »

thanks and the funny thing is there was no shh to uninstall, why was that??
viking777

Post by viking777 »

mdquince wrote:thanks and the funny thing is there was no shh to uninstall, why was that??
I don't believe you.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe it is possible to have a daemon called ssh-agent running if you have no packages that include ssh in some form or another. If you read my post again I said the most likely candidate is openssh-client which is not the same as ssh .
mdquince

Post by mdquince »

you were right again. Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”