Not able to record. Sound plays through line input jack.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfklinux

Not able to record. Sound plays through line input jack.

Post by mfklinux »

I have LinuxMint 7 with all updates. My M/B is a gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L. I was playing output from a turntable through the computer, getting speaker output, but not being able to record with Audacity or traverso (I am not knowledgeable about the use of either). Then the sound stopped for no reason. I tried everything I knew to get it back. Not being able to solve the problem I installed an ENSONIC 5880B (Audio PCI) rev 02 x x # (that came from lspci comand). I can play sound from the turntable or tape player through the Line Input and get it on the speakers and controll it with the computer volume control panel. On the volume control panel, if I go to record it only shows "capture". The "capture" slider volume controll, which is the only one available in "record", will not affect the sound volume. It does not show a line input when in the recording tab.
Using the Linux mint "recorder" I can record from the CD/DVD player, but get nothing from the line input. When playing the tape through the line input the volume, with volume controll panel set to the play tab, is controlled by the master vol. control and by the line in vol. control. The volume control panel, which is titled "Volume Control: Ensoniq AudioPCI (Alsa mixer)" gives the options :

Ensoniq AudioPCI (Alsa mixer) which is the setting I am using and
TriTech TR28602 (OSS Mixer)
Playback: Simultaneous output to Ensoniq Audio PCI - ES13...
Playback: Ensonip AudioPCI - ES 1371 DAC2/ADC (PulseAudio
Capture: Monitor Source of Simultaneous Output to Ensonic...
Capture: Monitor of Ensoniq AudioPCI -ES1371 DAC2/ADC...
Capture: Ensoniq AudioPCI - ES1371 DAC2/ADC (PulseAudio...

I have tried all of these but the Ensoniq AudioPCI (Alsa mixer) is the only one that works for most things.
I have not got anything to work in Audacity or Traverso. Recorder is the one that will record from CD but not line in. It seems to me that the Line In signal is available to the computer sound system but not to the recording programs. The microphone will send some sound through the system. I have not tried to record from the mic.
I have googled every way I can think of and have found nothing on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Not able to record. Sound plays through line input jack.

Post by Husse »

General solutions for sound

This topic contains links to all (?) the really good solutions for sound in Mint
If you have Intel HDA sound take a look here first
If you want more help please include lspci and which Mint you use
And don't forget to go through all your settings
Right click the speaker next to the clock and check settings as well as any other settings you may find and also open a terminal and start alsamixer from it
Also check in "Users and Groups" that "Use Audio Devices" is checked for you, it is not by default and it should not matter but anyway
mfklinux

Re: Not able to record. Sound plays through line input jack.

Post by mfklinux »

Thanks for replying. It will be a day or so before I can look at this and will let you know. I am running mint 7, or that is what I have been working on. I just installed mint 8 on a separate partition. I will see if it works and post that also. MFKLINUX

Return to “Sound”