Only 3gb of 4gb memory detected

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inkheart

Only 3gb of 4gb memory detected

Post by inkheart »

I'm trying out the live CD of Mint 8 and when I check the memory, only 3gb of the laptop's 4gb memory is detected. Could someone please explain why this is so?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lwhistler

Re: Only 3gb of 4gb memory detected

Post by lwhistler »

Are you using the 32 bit version of Mint? If so you need the 64 bit version.

---------------
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Here's a more thorough discussion about memory and 32 vs. 64 bit systems if you're interested.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ss#p234445
inkheart

Post by inkheart »

gravelbay wrote:Here's a more thorough discussion about memory and 32 vs. 64 bit systems if you're interested.
I checked it out and what I got basically, since I couldn't understand everything, was one can use 32-bit OS on 32- and 64-bit computers, but not vice versa. The technician at the computer shop where I bought the laptop said the laptop was 32-bit so I suppose that means I'll have to stick to the 32-bit version of OS, am I right? If so, is there a way I can maximize this 4gb memory using a 32-bit mint?
lwhistler

Post by lwhistler »

inkheart wrote:
gravelbay wrote:Here's a more thorough discussion about memory and 32 vs. 64 bit systems if you're interested.
I checked it out and what I got basically, since I couldn't understand everything, was one can use 32-bit OS on 32- and 64-bit computers, but not vice versa. The technician at the computer shop where I bought the laptop said the laptop was 32-bit so I suppose that means I'll have to stick to the 32-bit version of OS, am I right? If so, is there a way I can maximize this 4gb memory using a 32-bit mint?
If you don't need 4gb memory then 32 bit OS is fine. If you need 4gb memory then you must go with the 64 bit OS.

---
inkheart

Post by inkheart »

lwhistler wrote:
inkheart wrote:
If you don't need 4gb memory then 32 bit OS is fine. If you need 4gb memory then you must go with the 64 bit OS.
Yes, I've thought of that too but since I want to learn video editing using this laptop, I'd like to maximize all the memory it's got.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

inkheart,
The technician may have meant that it had a 32-bit OS. Most new processors are 64-bit. Somewhere you should have some kind of documentation, box label, or something that says what processor is under the hood. If you do and it doesn't give the architecture information, you should be able to find out easily with google. I would be surprised if they would put 4GB in a machine that could not address it, but stranger things have happened.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

I have the 64bit Linux Mint 8 Gnome RC1 and I only get 3.6 GB detected out of 4 GB... but I'm not sure if it's my video card using the ram but 0.4GB of video card memory dedicated? This video card is (MAXED) in bios to 128mb. Do the Linux Drivers push the card's memory up a notch over the windows drivers?

Becuase the Nvidia settings say 512MB although the Nvidia chipset card what ever is only 128 (max) in bios. I haven't posted about it becuase I'm still using windows alot and booting into both. Every now and then I go into Linux Mint. I love it just can't use it as much yet due to my internet situation, wich without internet pretty much makaes the OS eh... it's all becuase of some tethering hardware and stuff with my cellphone thats not compatible. I just got to get some new hardware but im on a strict budget right now.

It could be the laptop video card ( I don't know) the fact 3.6GB got detected means it's 64x i think... becuase i think only 3.5 GB get detected in x32 enviorments... not to sure :s
inkheart

Post by inkheart »

gravelbay wrote:inkheart,
The technician may have meant that it had a 32-bit OS. Most new processors are 64-bit. Somewhere you should have some kind of documentation, box label, or something that says what processor is under the hood. If you do and it doesn't give the architecture information, you should be able to find out easily with google. I would be surprised if they would put 4GB in a machine that could not address it, but stranger things have happened.
Right, I'll go take a better look. Thanks!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

The terminal command inxi -C will give you your cpu info . . :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

You could have a read through this.

Trouble is I am not sure if Ubuntu/Mint have a PAE kernel.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

richyrich wrote:The terminal command inxi -C will give you your cpu info . . :)
Thanks richyrich. I figured there was a command like that, but didn't know it or have time to research it. It's amazing all the commands that Linux has.

I tried it and it gave lots of useful info, but doesn't say if it's a 32 or 64 bit processor. But, of course, once you identify it this way, you can google it if you don't already know.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

viking777 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

I read and did this:

http://techie-buzz.com/linux-tips/how-t ... limit.html

...and now my Quad core Gateway SX2800 is seeing all of its 4gb of RAM while running 32-bit Mint 8. Yes, doing this appears to have installed a newer/different kernel.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

darethehair wrote:
viking777 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

I read and did this:

http://techie-buzz.com/linux-tips/how-t ... limit.html

...and now my Quad core Gateway SX2800 is seeing all of its 4gb of RAM while running 32-bit Mint 8. Yes, doing this appears to have installed a newer/different kernel.
Good find, I hadn't seen that (but then I only have 2Gig memory so it doesn't matter to me all that much).

I am glad it works for you anyway, I think a few others might be interested in that.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

darethehair wrote:doing this appears to have installed a newer/different kernel.
not a newer kernel, just the pae enabled version. if you look at the image, it will now say something like 2.6.xx-xx-generic-pae
c_martini

Post by c_martini »

inkheart wrote:I'm trying out the live CD of Mint 8 and when I check the memory, only 3gb of the laptop's 4gb memory is detected. Could someone please explain why this is so?
Are you using the 32 bit version of Mint 8? If so, this is where the problem is. While supporting up to 4gb memory, 32 bit operating systems will typically only address 3gb as the remaining memory addresses are in use by other hardware in the system which contain their own memory such as a graphics card, cpu cache, hard disk cache etc.

If you try the 64 bit (x86_64) version of Mint 8, all 4gb of ram will be addressed by the operating system.

Hope that helped. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oops! I didn't see the other posts after the OP. Oh well apologies if any of this info has been repeated...

Return to “Beginner Questions”