Gateway LT2104u Card Reader and Touch Pad Issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ninjarob

Gateway LT2104u Card Reader and Touch Pad Issues

Post by ninjarob »

I just purchased Gateway's new netbook, Model LT2104u. Linux Mint installed nicely and looks great. I am having 2 problems.

1) The card-reader is not being seen.
2) I would like to find a way to disable the Tap-Click on the touchpad. The touchpad is working, I just want to disable that feature.

This is a new model for Gateway, so I'm not sure former drivers will work.
Does anyone have any advice or help?

Thanks!
Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Gateway LT2104u Card Reader and Touch Pad Issues

Post by remoulder »

ninjarob wrote:1) The card-reader is not being seen.
2) I would like to find a way to disable the Tap-Click on the touchpad. The touchpad is working, I just want to disable that feature.
Re 2) this option is configured in Mouse settings. For 1) more information is required, please read the linked post in the red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

Actually it is not in the mouse settings. I'm using Linux Mint 8. I am able to choose right or left handed, and I am able to choose the click speed and tracking speed, but it is not showing any info for my track pad to disable the tap-clicking. Maybe I need a different driver for it? Again, this is a newer model for Gateway, so I'm assuming there is different hardware in it.

I did read the forum rules. I don't see that I'm posting anything wrong here, just looking for help. If someone needs more info on my system or install, please ask what you need to know. I'm happy to find anyone to help me and would be happy to provide as much information as needed to get me through this part.

Thanks!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

ninjarob wrote:Actually it is not in the mouse settings
So you have the touchpad tab in Mouse settings but it doesn't have the option "Enable mouse clicks with touchpad"? Ok open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

apt install gpointing-device-settings
which should appear in the menu as Touchpad Configuration.
ninjarob wrote:I did read the forum rules. I don't see that I'm posting anything wrong here
No one is suggesting otherwise but it is usually more helpful if you supply as much information as possible in your first post and not expect respondents to ask. You obviously missed the bit that states
E Almost all problems have a hardware component - run lspci in a terminal and include. If it is a USB device also include lsusb
. You cannot expect people to know what hardware and software you have, simply stating the make/model says nothing about the problem.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

Ok. I ran the code from the terminal, but still no difference in the mouse settings. What I want to do is DISABLE the "tap-click" from the touchpad.

Here is the info I received after I ran lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Pineview DMI Bridge
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Tigerpoint LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Thank you for helping me!
Rob
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

ninjarob wrote:I ran the code from the terminal, but still no difference in the mouse settings
You won't, the code installs another app called Touchpad Configuration, you need to run that.

Can you post the output of lsusb and also dmesg | tail immediately after inserting a card in the reader.

ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

Sure. Here is what I got:

Gateway1 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1267:c002 Logic3 / SpectraVideo plc Wireless Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0cf2:6250 ENE Technology, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 064e:a102 Suyin Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Gateway1 ~ $ dmesg | tail
[ 2642.172046] [drm] Big FIFO is enabled
[ 2694.486945] usb 1-5: USB disconnect, address 4
[ 2709.208443] usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
[ 2709.341903] usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 2749.237373] wlan0: no probe response from AP 00:14:d1:c3:c6:63 - disassociating
[ 2750.390278] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:d1:c3:c6:63
[ 2750.392494] wlan0: authenticated
[ 2750.392546] wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:d1:c3:c6:63
[ 2750.395872] wlan0: RX ReassocResp from 00:14:d1:c3:c6:63 (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=2)
[ 2750.395890] wlan0: associated
ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

[quote="You won't, the code installs another app called Touchpad Configuration, you need to run that.[/quote]

Where do I go to run that?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

ninjarob wrote:Where do I go to run that?
Should be in the menu.
ninjarob wrote:[ 2709.208443] usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
If this output was just after inserting a card then it appears to be discovering it. Do you also have a webcam plugged in, I'm trying to work out which device is your reader from the ENE Technology and the Suyin Corp?

After you have inserted a card in your reader, have you open Computer to see if it's shown there or are you saying it's not working because it doesn't show an icon on the desktop?

ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

I used this code: apt install gpointing-device-settings
It appeared to install in the terminal, but no menu item is found.

The computer does have a built-in webcam. I'm not concerned to get that working, but I would like to get the card reader working. The card reader does not show anywhere on the desktop or when I browse my computer. I've tried inserting different cards as well. It was working with Windows 7.

So still having the same problems. 1) How doe I disable the "tap-click" on the touch-pad and 2) How do I get the card reader to work.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

ninjarob wrote:no menu item is found.
As I've said the menu item will be called Touchpad Configuration. It may be just hidden but you can press Alt+F2 then enter gpointing-device-settings to run it if it installed OK.

Re the card reader, you won't get an icon for the reader, only for the cards when you insert one and it has been recognized. Unfortunately I'm at work at the mo and can't recall the details of trying to mount this manually.

ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

No problem. I really appreciate all your help on this. I know we will get this figured out and I can be patient. I'm at work also. Lot's of snow on my way in today.
ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

Okay, I used F2 and ran the script. It came up!! But I still do not see where I can turn the "tap-click" on the touchpad off. Here is a screen shot of what comes up.

I realize that nothing will show up for the card reader unless there is actually a card inserted. I've tried different cards with no luck. Nothing shows. They did show up with Windows 7.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

OK I see the problem with your touchpad now, it isn't being detected. This appears to be due to a kernel bug, see here for details. Also see Troubleshooting section at end of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#gui. Possible workaround here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=844968.

Oops forgot the card reader! There's a possible solution mentioned in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1318913.

Mutiny32

Post by Mutiny32 »

I just wanted to point out that the Gateway LT2104u is actually a re-badged Acer Aspire One 532h. It even runs Acer software and the Windows 7 SKU is Acer Group on the license key sticker.
ninjarob

Post by ninjarob »

Mutiny! Thanks for that info! I didn't know that and it could help me solve my problem. I will let you know.

Return to “Hardware Support”