[SOLVED] How do you add applications to the Desktop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aunger

[SOLVED] How do you add applications to the Desktop?

Post by Aunger »

Please tell me how to add applications to the Desktop.
I would like to add a Terminal Icon and a Firefox web browser icon.
Also, I would like to add a Workspace switcher to go between Desk1 & Desk2 to the bottom panel.

To add a Terminal Icon In Ubuntu, I did this:
Applications -> Accessories -> Rt click "Terminal" -> "Add this launcher to desktop"
but I couldn't find this option in Mint 8. I can find all the applications in the Mint menus,
but I want to add a few to my desk top.

I am running Mint 8 on a persistent USB flash drive.

Thankyou in advance.
Dick Aunger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How do you add applications to the Desktop?

Post by richyrich »

Menu -> Applications . . drag to the desktop ! done !
(not from Favorites, as it won't work)
Aunger

Re: How do you add applications to the Desktop?

Post by Aunger »

Great! Thank you richyrich. That worked like a charm for the Terminal icon and Firefox icon.
I also added Workspace switcher to the panel by rt clicking then "Add to Panel..." etc.

Thanks very much
Dick Aunger

Return to “Beginner Questions”