subtitles and mplayer anomalies (using the terminal) [SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattsid1

subtitles and mplayer anomalies (using the terminal) [SOLVED

Post by mattsid1 »

Before I begin, I have no problems playing subtitles with Mplayer or any other media player. However I have come across a few anomalies that as a relative newbie I can't get my head around.

I have two separate movies. Both *.avi files with a *.srt subtitle. Both have exactly the same name bar the file extension. When I click on one avi file the subtitle loads automatically, the other I have to select is manually.

Not a big deal you may say, just select it manually, a few seconds of your time. However, for the past few months I have been running all video files from the terminal on the account that prior to that I experienced countless playback problems, since using the terminal as suggested on these forums my problems have been virtually zero. So my next question is how do I load subtitles manually from the terminal I've tried numerous commands (suggested from the mplayer help ) such as

mplayer -sub <file.srt> <file.avi>

and vice versa, but to no avail.

Pointers in any direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(incidentally one film is Japanese the other is Korean. The problem file is Korean. But, I live in Korea and have full Korean language support on my computer so I can't see why that would be the problem)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: subtitles and mplayer anomalies (using the terminal)

Post by remoulder »

Enter man mplayer in a terminal to get complete command options. 'q' to quit.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mattsid1

Re: subtitles and mplayer anomalies (using the terminal) [SOLVED

Post by mattsid1 »

Thanks for the advice on the manual, but already knew how to do that, and hadn't got anywhere.

In the end I deduced that the problem wasn't with mplayer but with the subtitle file. So I installed avidemux subtitle editor and noticed that the movie that worked character coding was set to UTF8 and the one that didn't was set to Western. I just saved that one as UTF8 and everything worked fine.

Return to “Sound”