Which version should I go with Main Ed 32bit or x64 [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
x0fx3

Which version should I go with Main Ed 32bit or x64 [SOLVED]

Post by x0fx3 »

On the download page it says that the Main Edition is more stable the then x64 but my laptop is x64. So If I go with the Main Ed. it won't recognize my forth gig of ram correct. Also from various places I read that x64 linux is not supported for Adobe Flash. So how unstable is the x64 edition vs the 32bit?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Which version should I go with Main Ed (32bit) or x64?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Saying 32 bit Mint is more stable than 64 bit Mint is like saying granite is more stable than concrete. Either is miles more stable than Windows of any flavor.

Adobe flash does not come in a 64 bit version yet. They have an alpha testing version available but I haven't tried it.

You are right about 32 bit systems not being able to address more than approximately 3.2 Gb of Ram but for most every day uses, 3 Gb is more than adequate.
x0fx3

Post by x0fx3 »

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the ram 32/64 bit issue was universal or not. Was kind of hopping it was only a windows problem.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

i am running x64 with the 64bit flash player installed (and working fine).
if you're going to do processor intensive stuff, 64bit is going to be better. however, not all packages are available for the x64 architecture.

if it's only because of ram, you can install the pae (physical address extension) kernel.
x0fx3

Re: Which version should I go with Main Ed 32bit or x64 [SOLVED]

Post by x0fx3 »

Well not really sure what I'll be doing. I do multi task a lot though.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

as i said, the pae kernel supports more than 4gb of total memory (about half of what x64 supports). you might want to look into that.
x0fx3

Post by x0fx3 »

I'll check it out, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”