Invisible GRUB menu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thenewguy

Invisible GRUB menu

Post by thenewguy »

When I turn my laptop on, I got a very brief text message which, I think, says "Loading GRUB". The screen then goes black for about two seconds. Then I see the Linux Mint logo. I'm new to GRUB2, but I think my time-out is set for 10 seconds (I haven't modified GRUB's config at all). So I'm wondering why the GRUB menu is invisible. It's not an issue now, but I'd like to be able to see menu before a problem comes up. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: Invisible GRUB menu

Post by breaker »

I'm sure you didn't mean to double-post
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

No, I didn't. Sorry. I got an time-out error after the first "submit" and hit "submit" again to make sure it went through. Apparently it did.... both times.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

if the install hosting grub2 is the only operating system on a machine, the grub2 menu is hideen by default. you can change this in the grub defaults file.
open the grub defaults file with a text editor:

Code: Select all

gksudo nano /etc/default/grub
comment out the following two lines like this:

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
save and exit, and run update-grub:

sudo update-grub
the menu should now show for 10 seconds, before booting into helena
Last edited by Leppie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

Thank you. I had figured out the lines to change in the GRUB defaults file, but didn't know to run "update-grub" afterward.

Return to “Installation & Boot”