Freenx stoppeed working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wayner

Freenx stoppeed working

Post by wayner »

I just set up Linux Mint 8 on a new PC. I installed freenx and I was able to remotely connct to my Mint PC. I then continued setting up this PC and changed a few things on the Mint PC, including setting a static IP and I installed the proper nvidia video drivers.

Now I can no longer log in using the nxclient - everything looks ok, it authenticates and connects and it starts displaying the screen but it then fails and says "Session Failed". I get the same result from two different clients - both are running Win7 if that matters.

I also installed freenx on a Linux Mint PC that I set up a week ago without any problems at all. I have not had issues with freenx before - it has just worked.

Do you have to redo some configuration after changing the PC's IP address and/or video driver? Note that I did type the new IP into the client when trying to connect.

Here are the details:

Code: Select all

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '9188'.
Session: Starting session at 'Tue Feb  9 19:13:02 2010'.
Warning: Connected to remote version 3.3.0 with local version 3.4.0.
Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session 'kde'.
Info: Not using NX delta compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
Info: Not using a persistent cache.
Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ':0'.
Info: Listening to font server connections on port '11000'.
Session: Session started at 'Tue Feb  9 19:13:02 2010'.
Info: Established X server connection.
Info: Using shared memory parameters 0/0K.
Session: Terminating session at 'Tue Feb  9 19:13:03 2010'.
Session: Session terminated at 'Tue Feb  9 19:13:03 2010'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayner

Re: Freenx stoppeed working

Post by wayner »

A bit more info - it also appears that VNC won't work either! VNC will log in and it shows a snapshot of the screen on my server but that screen does not update. Can this be a problem caused by using the nvidia video driver rather than the default Linux Mint driver. The problem with the default Mint video drivers on this PC is that they will only give me 800x600 resolution and that is not enough for a workable PC.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

And when would those graphic drivers have been installed,
  • Before or after the Freenx client/server setups ?
If after, then the video settings have changed, and I see in the Freenx data you supplied 0/0 shared memory for the remote connection
--to me, it definitely looks like the video settings are in error.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620057&page=11
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ng-668806/
wayner

Post by wayner »

It looks like it wasn't the graphics drivers as I have switched back to the default drivers.

I now have VNC working but freenx still doesn't work. It appears that this may be due to installing freenx as the default user "oem" and then later deleting that user. Apparently this can cause issues with the ssh authentication. I have tried a couple of other things without much luck but I think I will just totally reinstall Mint as that only takes about 10 minutes and I haven't yet done much other stuff on the computer that would have to be redone - just installed Chrome and a few other apps.

Return to “Beginner Questions”