Users can browse eachothers home folders?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ax.
Level 1
Level 1

Users can browse eachothers home folders?

Post by Ax. »

I got a problem, I made several users. One for me, one for my gf and one for guests. But I was able to enter my home-folder from the guest account. How to I fix so the guests can only reach his own?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Users can browse eachothers home folders?

Post by SiKing »

From the command line run:

Code: Select all

ls -l /home
(that's the lower-case ell, not a one) and post the results.
Ax.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ax. »

Thanks for your reply!

Result:

rotalt 12
drwxr-xr-x 73 axax axax 4096 2010-02-09 20:52 axax
drwxr-xr-x 37 guest guest 4096 2010-02-10 03:42 guest
drwxr-xr-x 35 sanna sanna 4096 2010-02-09 16:15 sanna
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It easy in the GUI, simply go to your /home/folder name and turn off permissions for other and world groups to none (no access)
--now other users will not be able to enter/read your directory contents, I can't remember if they will be able to see the directory (folder) name for that user, I am thinking NOT!

For Linux Mint 7 main edition (Gnome desktop)
Mint menu>Home Folder>Go up one level (your user name)>Properties>Permissions>Change Group, Other to None
Ax.
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ax. »

Thanks! I got it sorted out. :)

Is there any way to make the account I call "guest" only have access to his own homefolder? So he can't browse the filesystem?
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

DrHu wrote:It easy in the GUI, simply go to your /home/folder name and turn off permissions for other and world groups to none (no access)
I have often wondered why this is not done by default when creating a new user.
DrHu wrote:--now other users will not be able to enter/read your directory contents, I can't remember if they will be able to see the directory (folder) name for that user, I am thinking NOT!
Yes they will. This based on the r/w permission of the /home (parent) folder itself.

Return to “Beginner Questions”