Where is the 'Install inside windows'-option in Linux Mint 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Feline

Where is the 'Install inside windows'-option in Linux Mint 8

Post by Feline »

Hi everyone!

I would like to install Linux Mint 8 on my laptop using the 'Install inside windows'-option in Mint Menu.

However, I can not even find the Mint Menu in the Live-CD I just made. Is there something wrong with my Live-CD or
has this option been completely removed from Mint 8? I know it still is in Ubuntu 8.10 Live-CD, cause I just used it to install Ubuntu
on my machine.
But I like Mint more and would like to replace the Ubuntu installation with Mint. Can someone help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: Where is the 'Install inside windows'-option in Linux Mint 8

Post by gn2 »

AFAIK the "inside Windows" install option isn't available in Mint 8.

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena.php
rhY

Post by rhY »

What is the status of this? I have several clients that are not using Linux right now due to this missing feature. I even installed Mint 7 on a couple of machines.
Feline

Post by Feline »

Blah! That's install inside windows-option is one of the greatest things in Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Alongside their great usability,it's one of the most important reasons why I've been using these distros. I even installed a 5GB Linux Mint-subsystem in my old laptop using this option and it worked great. I didn't have to mess with the partition tables.
It's also really strange that this option is available in Ubuntu 8.10 but not in Mint 8 (?!). Linux Mint loses a lot of its famous versatility if this option is permanently deleted. It's not a good choice. Not at all.

It really sucks if this option will no longer be in future Linux Mint versions... :( It means I have to go back to using Linux Mint 7.

Hey! Could all who want this feature back tell the developers that we highly recommend adding it to new Linux Mint versions. I'm gonna tell them I really want it back.
Feline

Post by Feline »

Oh, sorry. It looks like they are trying to get it back to future iso-files. Compatibility problems or something...

Well, that's good news.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Feline wrote:It's also really strange that this option is available in Ubuntu 8.10 but not in Mint 8 (?!).
Mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10

Mint releases are sequentially numbered, Ubuntu release numbers relate to date, year then month.

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Return to “Installation & Boot”