mbr corruption ? ? ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidl

mbr corruption ? ? ?

Post by davidl »

I have been testing various Linux O.S. I finally settled on Mint 8 because it does a lot for me automatically. I did trawl through its inner workings, understanding some but not all the technical side of it.
It was installed on a 160 gb external usb drive. I had no problems booting it up and swopped between it and Vista which is installed on my laptop hard drive.
My problem is that on the last occasion i booted into Vista, i was informed via screen message that i should insert a boot floppy. I am guessing that the MBR was missing/corrupted due to the same problem during my earlier ventures into Linux. I know that that particular instance was my fault. I had to purchase a recovery disc so all was well.

I am puzzled as to how this could have happened when all i have done, to my knowledge, is install a few programmes and accept updates. All drives were shown, ext usb and vista drive, on drive info page. I dont think the Vista drive was mounted. Thats as far as i can go with info at the moment.

I would appreciate any help without getting too technical please, although i am aware thats not always possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leppie

Re: mbr corruption ? ? ?

Post by Leppie »

davidl wrote:I had to purchase a recovery disc so all was well.
had to buy a vista recovery disk? you can download them for free: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/
davidl wrote:I am puzzled as to how this could have happened when all i have done, to my knowledge, is install a few programmes and accept updates. All drives were shown, ext usb and vista drive, on drive info page. I dont think the Vista drive was mounted. Thats as far as i can go with info at the moment.
was grub2 updated as well? this may have been the cause if this if you let it execute the default scripts after its update.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Open the BIOS page on boot up and tell us the current order of the boot process please.
davidl

Post by davidl »

hdd..... usb..... dvd, etc .......... I manually choose usb for mint 8 and then when booting Vista let it choose from first in list
davidl

Post by davidl »

I have decided that i will go away and learn a lot more about linux and computers in general because i have a feeling i might very quickly be out of my depth when replying to some requests for information.
Thanks for replying so promptly ...................... now feeling slightly embarassed !

Return to “Beginner Questions”