Firefox freeze

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dayrider47

Firefox freeze

Post by dayrider47 »

Running Linux Mint 8 Helena on a hp pavilion a620n desktop - compaq evo d310 - p4 compaq desktop - in all three units the firefox browser freezes up at various times and is doing this on all three desktops - any ideas - thaks - mps
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Firefox freeze

Post by exploder »

Are you using add-ons in Firefox on all three machines? I ask this because add-ons are the biggest cause of problems with Firefox, even some themes will make Firefox freeze or crash.
dayrider47

Post by dayrider47 »

Yes I am - so I will remove all and add one at a time to test thank you
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Another possible problem with Firefox, Chrome or Opera -- could be your connection speed and bandwidth.

If you have a slow connection or not very high bandwidth ... these will slow-down the ability for the browser to open 'too many' tabs.
As the major browsers draw on a lot of your network consumption.
If a browser doesn't have all the network energy it thinks it needs, it will often go to a 'grayed out' screen or 'freeze up' until the system 'catches-up'

Too many tabs or windows open -- same goes for downloading files.
The lighter-weight browsers don't require as much to run optimally.

In Xfce and Fluxbox, a light-weight browser is usually included by default.
In Gnome or KDE, you'd probably have to get one off Synaptic.

A lighter browser doesn't mean, it is less than enough to do what you need on-line.
Just that, they won't have all the extras; like add-ons, themes or extensions.
But, the browsing experience will be just as good as the 'big-time' browsers

I mainly use Firefox 3.7 or Midori in my Mint-8 Xfce desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”