Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
agwblack

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Post by agwblack »

Just figured out that my firefox issue is nothing to do with OOo Presentation; the crash only happens (and I mean entire system crash, not just firefox) after the screen has suspended and then resumed. Chances are it doesn't even have anything to do with firefox (I just more often than not seem to have it open). Has yet to happen now that I have turned off this option in the XScreenSaver power management dialogue. Let's hope it stays that way! :wink:

Andy
Jstuck044

Post by Jstuck044 »

Hello there everyone,

I really like this version of Linux mint but I wanted to provide some feedback regarding this.
I know there is a utility for checking battery status but I think it would make sense to have gnome-power-manager or some other utility for displaying battery status real time without having to open up the mint config dialog. The reason being for this is that I have two laptops and I would like to have battery some kind of battery information realtime without needing to pull it up manually.

Openoffice doesnt use the gtk theme by default but if you add the following command at the beginning of the soffice script, it will force open office to utilize the gtk theme.

Code: Select all

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome
There is no application for ripping cds and recording sound. If you can fit it on the iso, I would like to suggest asunder and mhwaveedit...

Other than that, great looking distro!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Jstuck044 wrote:I know there is a utility for checking battery status but I think it would make sense to have gnome-power-manager or some other utility for displaying battery status real time without having to open up the mint config dialog. The reason being for this is that I have two laptops and I would like to have battery some kind of battery information realtime without needing to pull it up manually.
I've actually had very few people make note of this. The reason I went the route I did was for the ancient laptops running very little RAM with low processor speeds. In those situations, every process counts. Amongst other things there's no system settings daemon and the final will not have login/logout sounds, all for the same reason. gnome-power-manager is very easily added for those wanting something more full featured.
Jstuck044 wrote:Openoffice doesnt use the gtk theme by default but if you add the following command at the beginning of the soffice script, it will force open office to utilize the gtk theme.
I'll try and update mint-fluxbox-default-settings to correct this. I've seen probably a dozen workarounds for this, this one being the easiest to implement.
Jstuck044 wrote:There is no application for ripping cds and recording sound. If you can fit it on the iso, I would like to suggest asunder and mhwaveedit...
I'll definitelty put something in for cd ripping, call this an oversight on my part. lame needs to accompany asunder for MP3 ripping though. I'd rather not put an audio recording program in by default as everyone who uses them seems to have wildly different needs. I think the end user can make a better decision about what works for them than I can.
Jstuck044 wrote:Other than that, great looking distro!
Thank you sir.
Jstuck044

Post by Jstuck044 »

I've actually had very few people make note of this. The reason I went the route I did was for the ancient laptops running very little RAM with low processor speeds. In those situations, every process counts. Amongst other things there's no system settings daemon and the final will not have login/logout sounds, all for the same reason. gnome-power-manager is very easily added for those wanting something more full featured.
That's understandable, ill live in terms of doing it that way :)
I'll try and update mint-fluxbox-default-settings to correct this. I've seen probably a dozen workarounds for this, this one being the easiest to implement.
I actually found that suggestion on another forum (somewhere on the Ubuntu forums I believe) because I was having issues getting open office to use the gtk theme and inserting that command into a wm auto start script didnt work for me.
I'll definitelty put something in for cd ripping, call this an oversight on my part. I'd rather not put an audio recording program in by default as everyone who uses them seems to have wildly different needs. I think the end user can make a better decision about what works for them than I can.
Once again, understandable and by the way, your welcome
breaker

Post by breaker »

Thanks for the work on Helena Fluxbox!

When I had the Live CD in my Dell E5400 laptop the screen started to fade to white from the edges inward.. very strange. Upon reboot to BIOS and Windows, no issues.

So, forget the laptop, I installed it to my desktop. I should note the upstream bug where the installer doesn't see all of my hard disks until I run "sudo apt-get remove dmraid" I know it is an upstream bug, but I thought I would note it here in case anyone read this with the same issue.

I did the updates suggested after install.

Thanks,

breaker
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

After updating my computer today (2 new mintflux items) I couldn't shutdown the computer using the menu. I had to go into the terminal and do it "manually".
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@caris_mere: Did you read the update thread?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=40462
mint-fm2
- (2.10) - This update moves the Fluxbox submenu into the System submenu and prevents GNOME-MPlayer from showing up in the menu. After installing this update, in order to shutdown you will need to log out and hold F6 button, or shutdown from the command line (sudo shutdown -P now). This should only happen once and the system will return to normal the next time you start it. What happens here is replacing mint-fm2 kills the upstart process that reads the shutdown triggers.
- (2.11) - This updates corrects a few translations and removes references to the system sounds. Like the previous update, installing it will break the shutdown dialog until you restart the computer. Please restart by opening a terminal and typing "sudo shutdown -r now" or shutdown by typing "sudo shutdown -P now".
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

No, I obviously didn't read the dialog. ;o)

I sure like the distro.
aplastacalabazas

Post by aplastacalabazas »

Kendall,
Congratulations and Thanks a lot for your work. I like this beauty, elegant and fast version.

eer... Jstuck044 if you add to conky this next line:

${color F8DF58} Battery: ${battery_percent BAT1}% ${battery_bar BAT1}

In my laptop work BAT1 in others work BAT0 (by default in conky), but in others you must look the path:
/proc/acpi/battery
In that folder appear the correct name for the battery.
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

1. When i start up Fluxbox sound is muted. Master on HDA (Alsa mixer) and Master on Playback Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
At first i think something is wrong but then find that scroll bars are hidden and muted.

2. Playing MP3 in default player (totem i think), when you jump on time line, animation stops in window. Video works fine, only when listen music.

3. When you listen to music or watch video but then you want to listen music/video on FireFox (youtube),music in Browser is Muted.
When you listen to music or watch video on youtube then you want same time listen to mp3 on PC mp3 wont play and if you want to watch video
from hard drive video is muted. Also you can listen totem, gnome player and Decibel player at same time. (when i was testing this combinations with
FireFox, FireFox stopped responding so i killed him. )

4. Thank you for Blender solution :)

5. I installed Fluxbox from LiveUSB :) https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

6. And thank you for good release :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

The final fluxbox is now released
There is no longer any need to post in this topic
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

exploder wrote:
I have searched but I may have missed this. For me Synaptic no longer has the mark all upgrades button. Is there an update or what am I missing? Thanks in advance.

I believe that option is no longer available in Mint. Marking "all" upgrades can mark unstable ones as well. It's best to leave that to the update manager.
Clem removed that feature. I highlight the first update while holding the shift key, scroll to the bottom and click on the last update and right click and select mark for update, this marks everything and it's quick and easy.
To mark everything: click any visible package in the update list (but don't click the upgrade checkbox!), then Ctrl-A, mark for upgrade, Apply and Bobbie is your aunt...
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

OK, I just tried this in VIrtualBox, and things seemed to be running alright, except these was no sound. Are there sound drivers that need installing for this release?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”