[solved] Login username on the Community version?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nooby

[solved] Login username on the Community version?

Post by nooby »

Very embarrasing error. Due to me knew too little.

I have an old USB external HDD 7GB left free on a 10GB 5300 RM orsomething noisy one.

ok I installed SuperOS Ubuntu on it with persistent 1GB casper RW file.

When I later tried to do the same with Mint KDE then it looked in that file and said error and asked for my username.
Me still thinking the text came from Mint gave mint and mintkde and admin and a lot of things but didn't realize that now the error handling think it is on Ubuntu and not Mint so the correct user name for a live cd is ubuntu and not mint.

so as soon me gave ubuntu and then hit enter it allowed me in and I am writing from mint KDE CE now. So now I will test it
and use this one instead of the SuperUbuntu I guess. Most likely.

Thanks guys for being patient with me. I had hoped someone could guess what did happen but realize that my set up is rather unique using the persistent install on usb from pendrivelinux and all of you love full install I guess.
Or else you could have told me to use the ubuntu username.

anyway thanks indeed for the Mind KDE CE the best there ever was among the 45 distros me tested 2009 and 2010.

Yes I know the Mint9 is out and I have old Helena. Hm

I've read that standard Helena have mint and psw just hit enter but that doesn't seems to work on the one I downloaded today.

I've tested several others like mint mint or linux mint everything fails.

Does it only ask this kind of questions when the booting has an error?
In the menu.lst should it not be seed=mint should it be kde or something?
I boot from a USB and used pendrivelinux version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Login username on the Community version?

Post by Kendall »

In the live environment the username will be "mint" and there will be no password (just leave it blank and hit enter).
nooby

Post by nooby »

Yes that was what I hoped it to be. But it failed.

My wild guess is that if an error happens as id did this time. I was using pendrivelinux program MultiBootISOs-v0.3
and installed on an old HDD that have an USB adapter and the isolinux bootloader there maybe do things the program is not used to when it goes like a CD Live session and not from USB so it complained that something was not right and took me to a Login that is not showned on the Community Edition How to with snapshots of how it should look.

so could not that be a kind of Admin log in and that one doesn't accept mint and then just return.

Can not the developers of the KDE version of Helena have their own Admin user name and password and never expecting the live user to need to use it?

It looked to me as a kind of recover from error log in. It did told me to talk to the Admin as if I had an admin to talk to.
So it doesn't seem to be what usually meet the casual user. This was some kind of error recovery.

I guess I need to tell it do write some kind of log that it produce some file I can access and see what exactly goes wrong?

Or start it in fail safe mode or what ever.

Everybody talks good about the KDE so I didn't expect it to work less good than the Live Cd session iso wbich I have tested before and everything just worked.
nooby

Post by nooby »

I used another program from using pendrivelinux which was especially made for Linux Mint.
And instead of installing it to the USB HDD I took a 2GB USB flash memory and that worked better.
I write from the Mint 8.0 CE version now. But the 2GB are too small to allow for persistence I guess.
They have chosen 1GB by default as the smallest such file and that is impossible due to size being bigger.
I need a 4GB to go with that one so I try it out later.

Here is more info on the error messages when I used a USB external HDD.
Loggin in Mint
A critical error occurred
Please look at KDM's logfile(s) ....or contact your Admin

if I do Esc then it says

Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
Authentication failure

than show a promt that could not receive any input so most likely kernal panic.
nooby

Post by nooby »

this CE KDE version is the best Ubuntu variant me tested. Even better than the SuperOS except that one have both Opera and Chrome on it. But hopefully I learn to add those one on my own later.

So this one is the best of some 45 Linux distros I tested since December 2009.
So would be cool if I got persistence to work.

I could either try a 512 MB casper-rw file and add that one to the USB flash and hope that the program find it at boot.
Or I can do a full install to this usb. Can it work with persistence on as little as 2GB USB flash?

this KDE is made for Desktops I guess so does it not constantly write log files to the USB ruining it within a year?

so the best would be if I get it to work on the USB HDD instead.

Edit after adding the 512MB casper-rw file to the 2GB USB mem stick with Mint KDE CE on it.

Jay now I have persistence of changes. It did remember my Swedish keyboard settings and bookmarks in Firefox too.

What I am unsure of is if I should allow update to it or not.

And the most important. This KDE CE is not made for USB flash is it? So it will write to it each minute to tell the log what is happening and in that way ruin the falsh real fast compared to the distros made for SSD netbooks and so on+

where can I go in and change the write to log behavior?

Return to “Beginner Questions”