[SOLVED]can't access shared files/folders from Windows PC's

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED]can't access shared files/folders from Windows PC's

Post by Niks »

i installed Mint 8 on a number of PC's and I'm unable to access shared files/folders from windows PC's over my network.
I had a similar problem with mint 7 but I found a way to change access permissions in a menu.
I can't find anything like that in Mint 8 !!!! Where do I look ?

Nick

[SOLVED]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Why can't I access shared files/folders from Windows PC's

Post by remoulder »

There are lots of posts about this issue in the forums, you need to search for a solution, but for starters look here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Niks wrote:I've checked the info on above post but I get stuck with
smbtree

Server requested LM password but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
What is and where is lanman ?
This has nothing to do with accessing linux shares from windows but with accessing windows shares from linux ( or your Print Server reference that mysteriously disappeared from your original posting of this error ).

To Fix:
Open Terminal
Type gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Add the following lines to the [global] section of smb.conf:

Code: Select all

client lanman auth = Yes
lanman auth = Yes 
Save the file, exit gedit, and back in the terminal type: sudo service samba restart

If you're having problems accessing linux shares from windows please post the output of the following commands:

Open Terminal
Type net usershare info
Type testparm -s
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

sorry I didn't see that someone was looking for me :D
I edited my post twice because I found things !
I'm now following your advice thx.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

altair4 wrote:Niks wrote:I've checked the info on above post but I get stuck with
smbtree

Server requested LM password but 'client lanman auth' is disabled
What is and where is lanman ?
Eh? Are you replying to the right post here altair4 or has one been deleted?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

remoulder,

Sorry about that. The OP had essentially double posted by asking a question on this subject on a topic marked solved. Since he started this topic I just moved my answer here. It's a good thing I'm not a forum moderator or this place would end up an incoherent mess :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Well here's the output you asked for I deleted a butch of shared folders as it's all the same as the folder shown

[info]
path=/media/Media/Info
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=y

nick@Server ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
workgroup = HOME
server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
lanman auth = Yes
client lanman auth = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
usershare allow guests = Yes
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Looks OK to me. What kind of error are you getting on the windows box when you try to access the "info" share.

Also what exactly in the "info" share because this might not be a samba issue it may be a linux permissions error.

Open Terminal
Type ls -dl /media/Media/Info

The output will tell us who owns the partition and what permissions it has. The solution depends on whether /media/Media/Info is an ntfs/Fat32 or ext2/3 mounted partition. Or is it an external usb drive? Tell us as much as you can about /media/Media/Info.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

drwx------ 1 nick nick 40960 2010-02-09 19:21 /media/Media/Info

It's a internal ssta2 nfts raid array (bios supported clone mode Raid 0 ?) which I have tried to access before and after manual mounting.

Windows error is ( Vista 64 )
Error code 0x800704b3
Incorrectly typed path / does not exist / or not avilable.

XP only gives the same text

AH AH! I just tried to share the video map in "HOME" map and that was accessed by both Vista and XP PC's so we are talking about the extra drive !
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Open Terminal
Type gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Add the following line to the [global] section of smb.conf:

Code: Select all

force user = nick
Save the file, exit gedit, and back in the terminal type: sudo service samba restart
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Yep that got it Thanks altair4 .
Was it me that did something wrong or did an date update do something weird ?
or does it have something to do with the drive not being auto mounted at start ....blarr blarr etc
In other words what happened ?
Thanks again for your wonderful help . I shell mix my first post with a great big SOLVED!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You haven't done anything wrong. There was a change from Jaunty to Karmic ( this is where Mint starts from ) in how it deals with automounting ntfs. In your particular case it mounts with you as owner and permissions to read and write given only to you. The windows user ( guest ) is seen by linux as not you so access is denied. The "force user" creates a mask in samba that transforms the remote guest to you ( as far as that particular share is concerned - not for the whole system).

EDIT: You didn't read the whole HowTo that remoulder suggested, did you :wink:
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

I see

Ok wrists have been slapped :oops: for not reading it all but I started to follow things and did not get the results I should have got according to his post ie samba didn't work so I didn't get that far and then to cap it all your replied far quicker then I could read the post! :D It would have helped had I thought of checking if the "normal" shared folders first. :?
I will read the post completely to get it burnt into my brain before I crash the system and come back here to ask the same question again :mrgreen:

Thx to both of you!

Return to “Beginner Questions”