[SOLVED] Web cam testing.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Web cam testing.

Post by Niks »

Mint 8
While trying to find out if a web cam is supported or not i realise that what's missing. A simple test app that just allows to to select any video source.
In the end I used aMSN which is a bit silly really.

I know this question is not truly hardware only, but I think many people could benefit from a built in tester for webcams which by the way don't come up in USB devices in Hard info even when they work!

Any thoughts on this idea ?

Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Web cam testing.

Post by remoulder »

I have answered your question in another post.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Thx but where ??? is it under webcams or some other title?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Niks wrote:Thx but where
Arghh, Ok wasn't your post, was thinking about your file sharing question. What I said was you can install cheese to test webcam functionality or just use gnome-mplayer which is pre-installed.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

I think it's me getting confused with the forum.
I don't know cheese but I'll check it out I would like to suggest to the "Mintys" that they add a package to distro that just just gives a basic capture test. Many web cams with windows drivers come with a simple test prog. At least you know up front if the cam works before you start diving into the settings of an app. :D
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Niks wrote:before you start diving into the settings of an app.
You don't need to dive into any settings, cheese just works and is easily added, gnome-mplayer is already installed and you just need to go to file | TV | open analogue. No one needs to create another app unless you want to do it yourself, and including extras means something else might not fit on the cd.

Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

Good point about CD space I was indeed glad it fitted on a CD not a DVD but at some point Mint will have to switch to DVD anyway.
I would like to see a USB stick version to stop burning cds/dvd which I will throw away a matter of months.Not very environmental friendly is it!

Anyway as Wallace would say to Grommet " Cheese is what we need " ! It finds my TV card and Webcam with the correct information and does exactly what I'm getting at ! Only mythTv and Skype have found my TV card !
How ever gnome-mplaye does not! No TV no web cam. I'm glad to read that Mint is thinking adding VLC as that was THE prog in Windows.

THx for your help Nick

Return to “Hardware Support”