how to setup and install Linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spider

how to setup and install Linux mint

Post by spider »

hi, I just made a partition 172 gb I split my drive .
172 gb is free space.... but don't know how to set it up or were to find the post to tell me.

maybe i just don't understand the post either LOL
let me know if you need anything else.
thanks again guys! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: how to setup and install Linux mint

Post by proxima_centauri »

Have you booted the Linux Mint 8 LiveCD? from there you can select the Installer and choose to install Linux Mint to the free space on your hard drive.

Just ensure you don't select the "Erase and use the entire disk" option. :)
spider

Post by spider »

"Just ensure you don't select the Erase and use the entire disk option" that's what i'm trying not to do.... i understand windows but i suck in linux.

can you give me like a step-by-step please i don't know what i'm doing.

I have linux mint Felicia

thanks again! :)

spider
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I dual-boot on this machine (160Gig drive), installed Xp to a 40gig partition, then on the remaining I set 12gig to root ( /), 2gig to swap, and the remaining to /home. 12 for root was not necessary, but with the space available, figured it was better to give it "breathing room" :)

if this sounds like what you want to do, boot from the cd, and step thru the setup/install, til you get to the partitioniong section, and choose the free space, and to create new partiton, and make the size what you like, mount it as /, and choose either ext3 or ext4 as the partiton type. I choose ext4, it is mostly the default these days, but ext3 is older and better known. ext4 is the new kid on the block, but seems quite fine from my experience.

Next, create another partiton for swap, choose swap as type, and make it about 2 gig. Any more is really a waste. Then choose whatever space is left over and make it your /home partiton, and ext3 or ext4 as you wish. Then just fill the rest of your details in and let it install. Just take your time and read as you go. You can even post from the livecvd if you feel nervous, and for real time answers, queries in IRC channel are also an idea. But basically, if you follow as i laid out above, you should be fine. Wish you the best. Cheers. :)
spider

Post by spider »

hi, caught your message a little late... sorry.

I did manage to install Linux 8.

The thing is... not sure how much space i have for my drive.
it doesn't tell me or should i say how do i understand my drive space.

I have windows on this too.
I understand windows better but hope to get this down.
my filesystem 139 gb ext4
swap:5.9 gb but were is my home :?:
Thanks again! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”