Password Change

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fergsauce

Password Change

Post by Fergsauce »

Hello,

It seems there is a cache problem on my computer or something. I changed my password with the Users and Groups tool and it seemed to work, the keyring manager asks me for the new password. However, when I log in with the new password it tells me authentication failure, but still accepts the old password. The same result for using 'sudo <anything>'. This seems like a pretty big security issue..

*Edit*
I should mention I am using 64-bit Linux Mint 8. Also, when I try to change the password again, it hangs on checking password... indefinitely when I try to use my new password.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fergsauce

Re: Password Change

Post by Fergsauce »

Ok, figured it out. I can't change my password using 'Users and Groups' unlocked or not unlocked. I had to use 'About Me' instead. Not sure if this is a 'feature' or not, but seems a bit confusing since there were no errors or anything and the dialogs to change the password looked the same for both applications. Anyone know why it might be that way?
ironosity
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ironosity »

I had the same problem (among others) and resolved it by just changing the password via passwd cmd line.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

i believe this is a bug in the "Users and Groups" applet
try re-installing the gnome system tools:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-system-tools
Fergsauce

Post by Fergsauce »

Leppie wrote:i believe this is a bug in the "Users and Groups" applet
try re-installing the gnome system tools:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-system-tools

Tried that just to see if it would work afterwards, but still the same problem when changing the password via the "Users and Groups" applet.

But as mentioned before, I was able to change it via the "About Me" applet.

Return to “Installation & Boot”