<SOLVED>Black screen during boot up!<SOLVED>

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edwinv

uopdate;: Black screen during boot up

Post by edwinv »

update -- reinstalled mint 8 eveything is ok - even rebooting - but after shut down still same problem -- black screen after mint logo

i tried your solution but there is no file /etc/X11/xorg.conf file-- in map x11 there is no file xorg.conf -- do i have to create this file ?

regards
Loshmi

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen during boot up!<SOLVED>

Post by Loshmi »

Jes, that is the problem try:

Xorg -configure

in your command line, that should do it.

Good luck!
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I read your post over at Kubuntu forums and copy a portion
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82052

"I have experienced exactly the same problem with my HP Compaq 615 notebook
KMS si not the source of problem,also radeon.modeset=0 at Grub kernel line doesn't solve anything
The only way to boot is to append acpi=off paramter
Problem is caused by pcmcia and pcmcia_core acpi modules(strange indeed that they are loaded,becouse my laptop has a express not pcmcia slot neutral)
Boot with acpi=off and add these modules in rc.conf with ! to disable them from loading with system,boot again normally and everything will work fine now with acpi enabled
I also notice that people with similar hardware like my netbook(AMD chipset)have same problems
I hope that this helps and sorry for crappy english big_smile

P.S. Problem is linked with new 2.6.3x kernels,it's not distro releated(same thing is happening on OpenSUSE 11.2 and last version of Ubuntu)and its upstream-on older kernels up to 2.6.29 everything works fine smile"
I trying to get this all figured out. I put in "acpi=off" into my grub setup. This makes the computer boot up "properly" (text mode instead of the linux mint logo). As well, it boots 100% of the time. I then get to the gdm. That's all good. Once I login, I have not power management icon. That's kind of important when using a notebook. When I shutdown, it gets to system halted, then I have to manually press the power button to turn off the power.

I asked someone how I can disable the pcmcia and pcmcia_core modules, since there is no rc.conf in mint. He mentioned that I could blacklist them in /etc/modprobe.d/ I then created a file called pcmcia-blacklist.conf There I wrote:
blacklist pcmcia
blacklist pcmcia_core

I then removed the acpi=off part of the grub configuration. However, it now has the black screen problem again. I don't want to go the vesa route. Can someone help me out? I know this topic is supposed to be solved, but I didn't want to start a whole new topic for the same problem.
edwinv

Post by edwinv »

this is what i have done to solve the black screen
(working with grub2)

did the following
open the terminal and type
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
add following to this line (the parameter to be included is "nomodeset")

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

save file
close
and then
sudo update-grub

that did the trick for me

it is the driver in the new kernel that is faulty -- you can compile the new driver but that is a bit more work -- this helped for me
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

Changing that line in Grub didn't help me. It did make it book 7 out of 8 times instead of 1 out of 3 time, but I'm still getting a black screen after grub.

Loshmi,
How did you reinstall the ATI Catalyst driver? How did you get the option to not select those modules? I did get the computer to work with vesa, but then it wasn't widescreen (therefore stretched screen) and had poor quality. Please post how you were able to reinstall the driver.

Thanks
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

Just as an aside, here are the problems I've had:

Tried to boot live cds of openSUSE 11.2, the latest Xubuntu, the last 2 releases of sidux, and Mint 8 KDE RC1. None of them would boot. They all had the same problem: black screen and freeze at the point gdm/kdm was about to run. This seems to be the point where the graphics driver would come in to play. The point where the little spinning wheel comes up before the login screen. Tried Fedora 12, and its flaky, but runs. Had the same behavior once on booting the live cd,, but was able to install on second boot. Although fedora is installed, 1 of every three logins the screen flashes and goes back to the login screen.

The Debian Lenny and Mint 8 Gnome live cds work fine, however, as well as Sabayon and a few otherrs. Seems a bit odd that Mint 8 Gnome works but Mint 8 KDE doesn't. Maybe later versions on mint 8 kde. I was able to boot to vesa graphics on Mint 8 KDE by picking the compatabillity mode, which I figured was OK, since things would probably clear up after installation. However,I could not install using that *!&&!#@&(*@(*( ubuntu installation program. Took 5 minutes to format swap, and more than 15 minutes to format a 10 G partition. I don't know exactly how long the latter would have taken, cause I moved on.

I'm running an HP dv8110us, with ATI Radeon xpress 200M. I looked around the boards, and there are a lot of people having this same problem. Most seem to be running HP laptops (NEVER buy an HP. Listen to me now.) and or ATI radeons. Saw a few Dells with similar problems.

One person mentioned that there was a version of Xorg that installed the wrong driver for Radeons (believe he mentioned they installed "radeon" rather than "ati"), but I can't verify this was the problem. Also, there was a problem very similar to this on FreeBSD 7.2/7.3, I believe, which was traced to some direct rendering conflict between the FreeBSD kernel and Xorg. Maybe just a matter of time before it showed up here.

Don't know if this gives any more insight to the problem. Most of you seem to have narrowed it to the kernel, anyway.
KevinM1

Post by KevinM1 »

I'm actually getting the same black screen problem after updating my BIOS via Windows 7. It worked fine before the update, so who knows?
KevinM1

Post by KevinM1 »

FWIW, my LiveCD is also borked at the moment, and the dpkg update/fix option in recovery mode hasn't fixed the problem, either.
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

With my Compaq 615, I gave up. I used Mint 7 and it worked fine. It's too bad about the problem it has with Mint 8. I hope all that will be solved by May or June when the next edition comes out.
nooby

Post by nooby »

Have same problem here. I tried two different DVD and wanted to test before installing but it never came to the KDM it freezed before.

so I used the OEM install that doesn't let us test first and just did an install. Even at full install the KDE CE 8 does freeze when ever I hit the wrong key somewhere. Maybe I slip and hit two clicks instead of one and then the only way to take it out of freeze is to do a hard reboot.

Sad because this KDE CE 8 is the absolute mest of 45 distros that I have tested since Dec 2009. But to wait until may that is not good. The SuperOS Ubuntu 9.10 was the next best so I had to delete that one to give place for KDE CE 8 on the very small HDD in that old Compaq Pressario. only 7GB.

Return to “Installation & Boot”