[Solved] Firewall installed but where is it?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nooby

[Solved] Firewall installed but where is it?

Post by nooby »

Edit, it is easy when one know. I only had to write fire in a search on the menu and there it was.
So solved thanks to all for caring about me.

original text
I followed an instruction on how to download a firewall here in mint forum but they never told how to find it after it got installed. I mean there is not menu or anything showing up. As a beginner how does one find it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firewall installed but where is it?

Post by remoulder »

nooby wrote:As a beginner how does one find it?
Same way as everyone else, by searching and reading (the manual if necessary). If you want someone to help you need to provide more information as per the link in the Red bar at the top.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
thenewguy

Post by thenewguy »

The default Mint firewall controls can be found in the System menu in the Administrator section. It's called "Firewall configuration". If you installed a different firewall, you'll have to provide us with a name.
nooby

Post by nooby »

Thanks for wanting to help and I looked and looked but could not find what you guys refers to.

I use KDE CE is that one not different from the standard version?

I have to go to bed now but look tomorrow again.

There is no built in firewall in kde the How to told me so I sudo apt-get the one they recommended.

I don't remember the name. gfow or similar 4 chars. I am rather sure it had at least g and f in it.
it is local time 23 39 here so have to go up early Friday morning to travel.

thanks indeed for wanting to help me out. Am I really alone wondering about it?

I suddenly saw that KDE had a search an look what I ahve found by
Guarddog that says it is not sure it is enabled ...
So I look at it tomorrow. So it was easier than I thought.
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

nooby wrote:There is no built in firewall in kde the How to told me so I sudo apt-get the one they recommended.

I don't remember the name. gfow or similar 4 chars. I am rather sure it had at least g and f in it.
that sounds like gufw, but it would occur strange to me that kde would suggest a gtk based application (kde uses the qt libraries).
you can find gufw following thenewguy's instructions.
Aging Technogeek

Re: [Solved] Firewall installed but where is it?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Mint, like all Linux distributions, uses a firewall called ip tables. It is part of the kernal and cannot be turned off. GUFW is a firewall configuration utility that gives the user the ability to open and close ports etc.

You really did not need to install GUFW unless you prefer it to Guarddog, the default KDE firewall config utility.
nooby

Re: [Solved] Firewall installed but where is it?

Post by nooby »

Thanks, I did not know such basics. I am a poor reader of texts. Some How to recommended the Gufw something.
I looked into GuardDog but did not understand any of it. But hope it is activated.

Just now I am in frugal install of Mint KDE CE 8 on my modern HP SR5622SC but I also has a full install on an old Compaq Pressario 8000 don't know how old that one is but sadly despite being a full install it "freeze" if I double klick on things that one should single click on. When it freeze the only way to get out of it is hard boot. Not very practical so maybe I go back to SuperOS Ubuntu on that one because that distro had no such issues. Only missed one codex that Mint KDE has for AVI files.

Return to “Beginner Questions”