Where's my 'taskbar' in M8 ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
motomartin

Where's my 'taskbar' in M8 ?

Post by motomartin »

i'm having a bit of a problem with mint8.

been using 7 for a while - no worries

so i install 8 -nice interface etc.

start having a look round, as you do.

now my (windows term ) taskbar along the lower edge has vanished.
So i do a bit of research and delete the hidden conf file in /home and reboot

no joy.

i'm stuck - so i reinstall - but it doesn't re-install from scrath, cos it restarts WITH NO FRIGGIN TASKBAR !

any ideas to get it back to first install status or at least the full taskbar pls ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Where's my 'taskbar' in M8 ?

Post by richyrich »

From a terminal . .

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-main
motomartin

Post by motomartin »

how do i get a terminal up ?

imagine the desktop with nothing on it - i can right click and get a menu and i can install panels - but i've got nothing else
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

couple of options, alt-F1 open up gnome menu which you can use or alt-F2 open up 'run application' which you can select the terminal from the known applications list.

If you can add a panel, why don't you just do that? thats what the 'taskbars' are called in Mint! Then just add mint menu, notification area, clock and window list from the right click -> add to panel menu

There is a shortcut straight to the terminal, i just cant remember it!
gn2

Post by gn2 »

beefstu wrote:There is a shortcut straight to the terminal, i just cant remember it!
AFAIK in a default Mint 8 installation it's disabled.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Click Main Menu button.
Accesories > Terminal . Right-click on 'Terminal'. Select either ' Add launcher to Panel ' or ' Add launcher to Desktop ' .
mick55

Post by mick55 »

StantheMan wrote
Click Main Menu button.
uhhmmmm.....would that be the Main Menu button on the taskbar that's missing :?

CTRL + ALT + F1 will bring up a virtual terminal and you can run the commands Richy posted.

Return to “Beginner Questions”