Umax 1220 U Scanner

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Umax 1220 U Scanner

Post by g0lrk »

Well had a canon 500, see lower post, swapped it for a Umax 1220U Scanner and installed Sane and Xsane but for some reason the darned thing will not work. It reports that the light is not turned on and I can see no way to turn it on, where am I going wrong please? If you do click on scan it says failed to start scanner:invalid argument.
Thanks a lot.
Kevin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Do I understand correctly - you only have a software "on switch"?
Check this out:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/umax1220u-sane
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Thanks for the link Husse. What is happening at the moment is the lamp is switched off with no means of switching it on.
I downloaded that file you suggested but, here is the lack of linux skills showing now, what do I do with it please?
OK now sorted that by un-zipping it to a folder on the pewter. after reading one or two of the files it as really lost me though.
<There is a file called release notes but if I click on it nothing happens and I am at a loss how to make something happen, yes it probably sounds silly, sorry !>
Edited by me after playing around and clickng on various things!

Just for the hell of it I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my other hard drive and it found the scanner ok and set it up alright so it does work ok.
Thanks a lot.
Kevin.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have a Brother multifunction (printer/scanner/copier) and I can't get the scan to work because of some oddity with usb.
What happens if you enter the command xsane in the terminal?
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Well I opened a terminal and entered xsane as instructed Husse and exactly the same as previously mentioned. It gives me me the option to choose between the webcam and the scanner and after choosing the scanner it performs as before i.e unable to scan as no light on and no means to turn it on.
I have even tried re-installing onto a different hard drive, as I have a few hanging around, because the scanner was added after the initial install. But that didn't help at all.
Here is me thinking in my ignorance that this is a user friendly os but maybe it is me I don't know.
Anyway will wait and see if any more ideas please to help sort this hiccup out.
Thanks a lot.
Kevin.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi Kevin

What does lsusb give with scanner connected and on:

Also if you still have Fiesty what does lsusb give with same?

Nick
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Morning Nick,
On Mint lsusb gave the following:-
"Bus 002 Device 004: ID 059b:0075 Iomega Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1606:0010 Umax [hex] Astra 1220U
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05a9:a511 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV511+ WebCam
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 "

Being my Iomega usb drive, Realtek I don't know? Umax my scanner of course then my webcam.
I am not really able to run the command under Feisty at the moment as I am just downloading another distro via torrent and don't really want to disturb it but will do as soon as it finishes, supposed to be within 1 1/2 hour ish !
Hope you are OK?
Kevin
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi Kevin
Looks alright:
Have you installed, sane-utils, libsane, libsane-extras? Not sure if it will cure problem but worth a go.

You might have to reboot, are you running Bianca or Cassandra?

If it works on Fiesty it should work on Cassandra, the modules might? have been loaded on install

(no Umax scanner connected when you installed first)

Nick
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Nick,
Didn't have libsane-extras installed but had the rest. just installed it and the thing works now !!!
What do you know there is life in the old thing after all, the scanner that is.
Thank-you and to Husse for the help given to me getting this scanner sorted.
The distro I was downloading has finished now just burning to dvd and then playing with that one for the hell of it !
Anyway thanks a lot for all the help given to me the Forum is great there is always some one who knows what the answer is.
Bye.
Kevin
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ nick
Dependencies...
Shouldn't they have been installed with sane? I think so and because of that they never "surfaced" in my mind :)
@ g0lrk
Good luck - just a question - how did you install sane and xsane?
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

Husse,
Sane & xsane was already installed just just the other one was not, libsane-extras, which I installed by using install software on menu, <synaptic?> after installing it I clicked on the desktop launcher i have and it worked from there.
Other distro just to change subject my son and I tried Slackware 12 and not really impressed !
Anyway thanks a lot.
Kevin.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

@Husse I have a Brother multifunction (printer/scanner/copier) and I can't get the scan to work because of some oddity with usb.

I had that with Suse and it was because it was "seeing the usb port was busy with the printer" and had to load a patch for sane, was an rpm will try to remember (sane-not-busy?)

When he first installed the system he did not have a Umax scanner so maybe at that time they were not needed?

When I first started Linux it only loaded the kernel modules of the hardware it found on install (mainly) if you changed the soundcard you often had to re-install, or recompile kernel, are the scanner modules loaded as required at install?

Libsane-extras :
This package includes some backends that are not yet included into the
official SANE distribution. Currently, they are :
* epkowa (some EPSON scanners)
* geniusvp2 (Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II)
* hp_rts88xx (HP ScanJet 4400C, HP ScanJet 4470C)

Husse
The conversation was here:
http://suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=16943
and the fix worked for the Brother also
The package was ignore-EBUSY-from-USB

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thanks for the link - I'll look into it later. The problem I had was that the scanner was on USB1 but Xsane thought it was on USB2
I gave up and I see now that I haven't even installed Sane in Cassandra. I don't have much need for a scanner...
I thought that installing from Synaptics should handle dependencies
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
I don't have much need for a scanner...
Yes, they are one of those things you buy , use once and wonder why you bought it :) I use mine for a footrest :)

I thought that installing from Synaptics should handle dependencies
So did I but these are additional packages, does Synaptics know what scanner you have? never mind it's sorted

Nick

Return to “Hardware Support”