Adding to the path variable

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drewlong

Adding to the path variable

Post by drewlong »

Hopefully a simple question

I am running Gloria GNOME and have added KDE3.5 kmail ... it's along story. So I want to add this little lot to my environment.

PATH=/opt/kde3/bin:/opt/kde3/games:/opt/kde3/bin:$PATH KDEDIRS=/usr/:/opt/kde3/ KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde3 XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/kde3/share/:/usr/share/ MANPATH=/opt/kde3/share/man

The kubuntu wiki isn't much help just saying you need to add this without saying where or how.
Can someone point me to the best / correct file I should edit please and let me know how I should complete the insert. Reading various posts some indicate its ~/.bash or /etc/bash.bashrc or .profile or .login or ... well there doesn't seam to be a consensus.

Appreciate your help, thanks Drewlong
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: Adding to the path variable

Post by gn2 »

Can you provide a link to the relevant Wiki page?
drewlong

Re: Adding to the path variable

Post by drewlong »

HI GM2

Sorry for the delay .. holiday ... heres the link https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty
drewlong

Solved Re: Adding to the path variable

Post by drewlong »

Great thanks, it seams to have done the trick :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”