Weather

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Doctor

Weather

Post by The Doctor »

I have tried to install several weather apps: Screenlets, Kweather, Gnome-Look and can not figure out how to get any of them to run. How do I get a weather app to run as a small window on the desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Weather

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Try Google Gadgets, they have several weather gadgets available. In Synaptic Package Manager search google-gadgets.

You can also right click on the panel, click Add to Panel and add a weather applet to your panel that can be expanded to a desktop window with one mouse click.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Solved, kind of. Using Google Gadgets allowed me to get a weather app running. But, I would like to learn Linux and I would like to know how to get something like Clear Weather from Gnome-Look.org running. I did download it, but I can't get it to run. I think I also extracted it.
Aging Technogeek

Actually, if you go to Synaptic Package Manager, search "screenlets" and install the package, Clearweather is already installed. Just run Screenlets from the menu Accessories category and select Clearweather.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I was able to get Weather Bug working from Google Gadgets. But the next time I booted up, it did not start. What do you have to do to get it start when you boot up. I like the choices it gives you for your weather. Thanks for the help. :D
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications

add > Name > command

ctrl+alt+bs
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I found out how to get Weather Bug to load each time. In the control panel, under Start Up Applications and then the tab Options, there is a choice to "Remember Currently Running Applications." The problem now is that when it starts up, it is right over the icons for the Home and Computer. I would like it to stay put at the top right of the screen. I can't find anything in its menu to make it stay in one place. Anyone know how to do that?
Aging Technogeek

You can also right click on the menu entry and check "Launch When I Log In".
Lits

Post by Lits »

The Doctor wrote:I found out how to get Weather Bug to load each time. In the control panel, under Start Up Applications and then the tab Options, there is a choice to "Remember Currently Running Applications." The problem now is that when it starts up, it is right over the icons for the Home and Computer. I would like it to stay put at the top right of the screen. I can't find anything in its menu to make it stay in one place. Anyone know how to do that?
After you move it and right clicked on the it, is there any option that says anything about "locking" the widget?
Aging Technogeek

I use the Google sidebar gadget. All my applets are docked to the sidebar on the right of my screen. They sometimes change position within the bar but they don't leave it.

See the desktop here as an example:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 65#p238354
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

There is nothing with a right click about being docked. I gave up and let it stay in the upper Left corner and moved the icons. I hope they stay.
Aging Technogeek

Right click on the Google Gadgets icon and check Sidebar. The sidebar will corral all of your gadgets.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

My experience with gadgets has been once you position them, on clean shutdowns they remember where they were. for example i use google gadgets like a previous poster does, but mine are launched at start-up with the -ns switch so they appear "floating" (that is with out the dock bar)and on reboot they always stick (even after a back up and restore)

Return to “Beginner Questions”