How To install OpenOffice 3.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

How To install OpenOffice 3.2

Post by Lantesh »

I can't say I had any real reason to actually upgrade, but I figured why not. In any case it worked like a charm, and integrated seamlessly in my Helena install.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... buntu.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How To install OpenOffice 3.2

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Lantesh: I came to your post via a link from Leppie in response to my enquiry in the Installation and Boot forum.

I used your commands (except that my download is the en-GB version) and they worked perfectly. Openoffice.org productivity suite 3:1.1-5ubuntu1 (many packages) is present in Synaptic, opened in Control Panel, and in Software Manager. But it doesn't show in the Start menu, and when I open an .odt file, it isn't available - it opens instead with Package Manager.

How do I make it operate? Is a re-boot required? Normally I hibernate.

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

[Using Helena with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

T J Tulley, I simply followed the guide exactly as the author wrote it, and everything worked fine. I did not have to reboot. Did you un-install the old version first? Did you make sure you downloaded the correct version, ie: x86 vs. x64 for your architecture?
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Lantesh - Yes, the downloaded file is OOo_3.2.0_LinuxX86-64_install_en-GB_deb.tar.gz which expands to give a folder
OOO320_m12_native_packed-1_en-GB.9483

Yes I did first remove the previous installation. Last night I did a full shut down after posting to you, and now the situation is unchanged - no Open Office in Start menu and doesn't open its own files, but is present in Synaptic package manager. On looking more closely there, it is listed as latest version, not as Installed. I have now marked all relevant files for installation and they are now installing.

Completed - now working. But why not from the commands? It appears that they only got as far as the repository. The new version was only announced a couple of days ago.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org

[Using Helena with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
Jess

Post by Jess »

Thank you for this link - I managed to upgrade it by following the step by step manual! 3.2 is fast! Great!
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Thanks. Really handy and works as written.

Return to “Software & Applications”