Helena finding ram

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richie43

Helena finding ram

Post by richie43 »

I am using Helena 64bit with 4g's of ram. The process monitor says 3.7g's. Is this normal or do I need a different kernel. I currently have 2.6.31-14.48 for x86/x86_64. I have levels 1-3 accepted in updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Helena finding ram

Post by deleted »

Only two things I can think of (and I'm not a computer engineer).
Rounding error?
Integrated video chip?

-Hinto
richie43

Post by richie43 »

Could you elaborate? I'm not a TOTAL newb, but no expert either. Is there anything I can do to increase the ram recognized by Mint? If not, is there any advantage to using 64bit over 32bit?
MikeA36

Post by MikeA36 »

He meant, and it is most likely that you have a 256meg integrated video card in your computer...correct?
deleted

Post by deleted »

Yes.
Thing like that (integrated video) "steal" physical ram... as well as cpu cycles.
Rounding error is how the reporting software displays what say, 1K, 1MB, 1GB is.
-Hinto
richie43

Post by richie43 »

Nvidia. Does that mean yes? I am also on the Mint chat, and it seems like that is the answer. Again, is there an advantage to be using the 64bit Helena with 4g's ram?

Return to “Beginner Questions”