Remove "Places" and "System" from Mint Menu?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ironfrunk

Remove "Places" and "System" from Mint Menu?

Post by Ironfrunk »

I added the Mint Menu to the Cairo-Dock along with a few programs and a few other objects.
I wish to remove the "Places" and "System" entries from the Mint Menu entirely (refer to image).

I don't see any way to remove them via the Main Menu editor.
I'm assuming there's another way to do so... because something has to make it appear there :lol:

Anyone have any ideas/solutions?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Remove "Places" and "System" from Mint Menu?

Post by remoulder »

That doesn't look like the mintmenu, it looks like the GNOME main menu which is not the same. To change the look of the mintmenu you would right mouse the icon and choose preferences. Not sure it's possible to remove the Places menu item in the GNOME menu.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Ironfrunk

Post by Ironfrunk »

remoulder wrote:That doesn't look like the mintmenu, it looks like the GNOME main menu which is not the same. To change the look of the mintmenu you would right mouse the icon and choose preferences. Not sure it's possible to remove the Places menu item in the GNOME menu.
I stand corrected.

I was thinking there would be a script of some sort or a config file (or something/anything -- not completely sure what type of file it would be), which I could edit.
I mean, there HAS to be some type of file telling it to show those two entries, right?

Regardless, the fact that I was looking for something regarding the Mint Menu lead me to nada.
I'll search around for stuff regarding the Gnome Menu.
Thanks for pointing that distinction out.
conwayphelps
Level 1
Level 1

Post by conwayphelps »

To remove the "Places" and the "Recent" parts of the menu you mentioned here, right click on the menu icon in the panel and select "Configure". On the GUI that pops up, select the top tab labelled "Menu" and there is a on/off switches for "Show bookmarks and places" and "Show recents". De-select these and they will turn off this option in the menu.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

conwayphelps, this thread is over ten years old. It's about different versions of Mint than there are now. It's well meant, I'm sure, but not really helpful to add new solutions to old questions. So I'm going to lock this now.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”