Linux mint deleted both of my 35 GB HDDs help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I use a tool called testdisk to restore partitions and disks.

I use it off a live disto called DEFT, but other live recovery distros will have it too.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint John0619
What did you do to cause this?
Very important - don't write anything to the disks, and definitely do not try to partition them...
Testdisk is the tool...
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
It's in the repos and you can make a floppy (but not all have a floppy any more)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I can't tell exactly how many MB it is but it is fairly small.
If you have messed to much with your disks you may have to send them to a specialized data recovery facility....
but testdisk is powerful - hav only used it a few times (forgotten why) but it did solve problems nothing else solved.
Husse

Post by Husse »

??
But you probably only have one disk in a laptop, but it could have two partitions. Have you had any dataloss?
Describe your situation better and don't do anything that can destroy your data
I need more info to understand.....
Husse

Post by Husse »

When you install Windows choose a partition that's smaller than the entire disk - leave at least 10 GB for Mint if you can.
Then it's just to install Mint
And take it step by step and check what you're doing - Mint and/or its installer don't destroy the disk unless you tell them to do so
Husse

Post by Husse »

This leads nowhere
You should stick to preinstalled Windows
To do things like installing a new operating system you need a minimum of computer knowledge - and you don't have that minimum.
It's no use to try to guide you - I'd have to hold your hand....

Return to “Beginner Questions”