battery level widget

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mohinga

battery level widget

Post by mohinga »

SOLVED (sort of)
Newbie here.... just installed Linux Mint 8 KDE on a cheap laptop. Very impressed! Everything worked out of the box … intenet connection/ sound etc. Also pleased to find vlc/amarok/and firefox installed.
I have a question. I haven't searched the forums for it; I promise to do so with further queries. But I'd sort of like to find a battery power level widget/icon/applet so I can know the state of my battery.
Nothing in the kicker panel... and nothing in the “add widget” thing that drops down from that icon in the top-right corner.
Thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: battery level widget

Post by richyrich »

First right-click the desktop -> Unlock widgets. Right-click the panel -> Panel Options -> Add Widgets . . there is Battery Montor included in Mint 8 kde.
mohinga

Post by mohinga »

Thank you for the quick reply. I had looked at the same "add widget" drop-down accessible from a couple of other places... but for some reason I overlooked the "battery monitor". Guess I thought it would be called something else.
However, I have not been able to install it. Got this message:" The object could not be created for the following reason : could not find requested component : battery.
I'm running on the battery ( no power cable plugged in)... so any ideas how to clear that up?
mohinga

Post by mohinga »

I guess I've sort of solved this. I was running on battery for a few hours, and so plugged in the power cable. After a few more hours I removed the battery and operated on the mains. Tried to add widget in this condition but no luck. Or rather I did get a large widget - top left - of a battery with a red x. No battery. But at least a widget. So I inserted battery, leaving the power cable attached, and got a large widget indicating battery charge level.
Could not find a way to move the widget to the main panel.
So I guess I'll have to add the widget whenever I want to know the state of the battery.

Return to “Software & Applications”