KDE 4.4 on the way

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way

Post by kmb42vt »

HoppityBob wrote:
That sorted it for me - thank you very much ! However, I'm not sure if it's related, but the fonts in my Thunderbird 3 immediately went haywire. I'll change back that line and see what happens.... erm, still wonky, bah.
Thunderbird 3.0 fonts still show fine for me but my install may be different from yours. I installed TB3 by downloading the tarball directly from Mozilla and extracting it into it's own folder in my Home directory. I then changed the command path in the menu items for TB 3.0. Once I started TB3 I set it as default and it was done.

On your font problem, try this:

First, go into "about.config" and search for "layout.css.dpi" and set the value to "0" (default is "-1") Then shutdown TB but don't restart yet. Here's the reference for the setting and what it does:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Layout.css.dpi

Go into System Settings/Appearance/Fonts and make sure that "Force fonts DPI:" is set to "Disabled". Hit "Apply" and close.

Now start up TB and check your fonts. They should not only be back to normal but should be following system settings for fonts rather than it using it's own (unalterable) chrome settings.

This should work for Firefox 3.6 as well.

HTH
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Just did a dist-upgrade and lost two of four virtual desktops. All black except taskbar and no menu with right click. Had it with KDE for awhile switching to Xubuntu before my nerves get frazzeled.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just did a dist-upgrade and lost two of four virtual desktops. All black except taskbar and no menu with right click. Had it with KDE for awhile switching to Xubuntu before my nerves get frazzeled.
All my virtual desktops are working. Did you type "N" when apt asked about overwriting a bash script?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

exploder wrote:
All my virtual desktops are working. Did you type "N" when apt asked about overwriting a bash script?
Nope, my bad. It only asked once, was expecting a second question, hit Y.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

That is where things must have gone wrong on your install. I knew from past experience that choosing "Y" would break the system, needless to say I have made the wrong choice on that myself before. :)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

exploder wrote:
That is where things must have gone wrong on your install. I knew from past experience that choosing "Y" would break the system, needless to say I have made the wrong choice on that myself before. :)
Well, I decided I made enough mistakes again so I wiped Linux Mint 8 KDE64 and will start over again after things settle down, like I said, back to my stable Xubuntu. I have this on disk and reinstall it whenever. Easy, quick and cleans up the disk. When I decide to reinstall KDE I will leave this on as a dual boot until things go bad again.
Back up daily, keep the faith.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

bobcollard wrote:Just did a dist-upgrade
Would I have to do a dist-upgrade to get KDE 4.4? The safe-upgrade wants to hold a dozen or so packages back, and mintUpdate, although it has 194 updates after I enabled kubuntu-backports, tells me to fix broken packages first. Synaptic, however, says there are no broken packages. Any pointers as to what to try would be much appreciated! :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

aelfinn wrote:
Would I have to do a dist-upgrade to get KDE 4.4? The safe-upgrade wants to hold a dozen or so packages back, and mintUpdate, although it has 194 updates after I enabled kubuntu-backports, tells me to fix broken packages first. Synaptic, however, says there are no broken packages. Any pointers as to what to try would be much appreciated! :)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work). Should go a lot better now than it did for us since all the updates to KDE 4.4 should be included. You'll probably have to do the fix for "User Management" (noted a few comments back) as the update that fixes this hasn't been pushed to backports yet.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Also, keep the existing bash file, do not upgrade this.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

aelfinn wrote:
For better advice see this link: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=41894
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

kmb42vt wrote:sudo apt-get update

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work).
Does aptitude? That's what I tried when I got the held-back-packages message described above. I've tried to understand the difference between apt-get and aptitude for a while, but maybe this specific example can finally shed some light where I'm pretty much still in the dark. :)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

aelfinn wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:sudo apt-get update

That's how the rest of us broke...I mean upgraded to KDE 4.4 :D (using the Update Manager or Synaptic doesn't work).
Does aptitude? That's what I tried when I got the held-back-packages message described above. I've tried to understand the difference between apt-get and aptitude for a while, but maybe this specific example can finally shed some light where I'm pretty much still in the dark. :)[/q
For example, see this Link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude
manny

Post by manny »

I had Kubuntu in a partition and upgraded to KDE 4.4 without a glitch. The reason I installed in Kubuntu is because my Linux Mint KDE 8 works like a dream and I don't want to risk having problems since I made it my main OS. May I know if I upgrade in Helena what the impact will be? Will remain mintized or would be better to wait till KDE 9 is released? Any suggestions?
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Update seems to have gone well, although Multiple Desktops was inoperative inititally. A quick disable/re-enable in System Settings and it was back to normal.

What does seem to be a bug, though, is the Desktop section of System Settings, where the categories sidebar (Desktop Effects, Multiple Destops, etc.) takes about 10 seconds to appear. Does anybody else see that?
Last edited by aelfinn on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

aelfinn wrote:Update seems to have gone well, although Multiple Desktops was inoperative inititally. A quick disable/re-enable in System Settings and it was back to normal.

Was does seem to be a bug, though, is the Desktop section of System Settings, where the categories sidebar (Desktop Effects, Multiple Destops, etc.) takes about 10 seconds to appear. Does anybody else see that?
I see that as well but I hadn't looked into since I was troubleshooting the User Management problem. I also see that under "About Me/Password & User Account" I'm unable to change my user icon (avatar...whatever). It tells me that my administrator has disallowed me changing my user image. Since I'm the administrator I find that rather strange. Could you check that out as well and see if you get the same thing?
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

kmb42vt wrote:I also see that under "About Me/Password & User Account" I'm unable to change my user icon (avatar...whatever). It tells me that my administrator has disallowed me changing my user image. Since I'm the administrator I find that rather strange. Could you check that out as well and see if you get the same thing?
Nope, that works for me. But System Settings produces an error message and sometimes crashes when I try to set date and time automatically. :(
Novarg

Post by Novarg »

Hi everyone.
After todays upgrading to kde 4.4 i finded out that my disks disappeared from dolphin's places menu (left side of dolphin). Can you help me turn them back?
Also saw you same problem?
Thanks.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

aelfinn wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:I also see that under "About Me/Password & User Account" I'm unable to change my user icon (avatar...whatever). It tells me that my administrator has disallowed me changing my user image. Since I'm the administrator I find that rather strange. Could you check that out as well and see if you get the same thing?
Nope, that works for me. But System Settings produces an error message and sometimes crashes when I try to set date and time automatically. :(
Heh, changing date and time works fine for me (isn't this fun?!). I did check around about not being able to change my user icon and it turns out to be a weird permission thing. I had to go into "System Settings (advanced tab) >Login Manger>Users (tab) and under the "Image Source" options section (upper right) I had to select "User, system" and hit Apply. The default was set to "System" only.

Haven't a clue why date and time are causing a problem. Can you post the error message you're getting (text or screenshot)?
Airdack

Post by Airdack »

Novarg wrote:Hi everyone.
After todays upgrading to kde 4.4 i finded out that my disks disappeared from dolphin's places menu (left side of dolphin). Can you help me turn them back?
Also saw you same problem?
Thanks.
I had the same problem just after upgrading, but after waiting for some time and rebooting everything was normal again, so although I can confirm that I had the problem I cannot really offer a solution. Do you use a tool to automatically mount disks on startup? Since KDE has it's own tool now so you might wanna use that instead of an external tool :)
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

kmb42vt wrote:Haven't a clue why date and time are causing a problem. Can you post the error message you're getting (text or screenshot)?
"Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 6,"
= and =
"Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 7, DBus Backend error: could not contact the helper. Connection error: . Message error: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

Return to “Software & Applications”