How to install drivers under Mint 8 Helena please not solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

How to install drivers under Mint 8 Helena please not solved

Post by RavenStandsAlone »

Perhaps I should reword this: I just downloaded the Intel 845 video driver for Linux from Intel site. How do I install them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
This is the InterWeb? Where's the beer? And gimme lime with that Corona...
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to install drivers under Mint 8 Helena please

Post by remoulder »

Ubuntu/Mint has built in drivers for i845. Why do you think you need to install another? Also can you provide the link for the download as I'm not able to find any linux graphics driver downloads on the Intel site.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

My linux mint 8 tells me that it cannot find the hardware drivers when I try to enable custom desktop effects. Here is the link you asked for.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?ii ... US+support
RavenStandsAlone
Level 2
Level 2

RavenStandsAlone wrote:My linux mint 8 tells me that it cannot find the hardware drivers when I try to enable custom desktop effects. Here is the link you asked for.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?ii ... US+support
Okay, let me rephrase that: Whether I have drivers that installed with linux mint or not I want to know HOW to install drivers in general. I am making the assumption here that there are 1. Drivers written for Linux by the manufacturer. 2. That they have them on their website because people may occasionally need or want to install manually and 3. There is a way to do this. This is the question I am asking here. I don't care about the drivers that came in this version of Linux, I want to load my own drivers that I get directly from the vendor. How do I run the install program?

Thank you
hemimaniac

Re: How to install drivers under Mint 8 Helena please not solved

Post by hemimaniac »

if you get lunix purpose drivers from your independent vendor, they must be linux compatible, and the .tar package or archive will have the appropriate instructions included usually in a readme or install txt, some will need to be configured, (easy 3 step process) and some will run natively. a lot of manufactures are also including linux instructions on their websites now as well, also sometimes a little clarity in what you are trying to install may prevent that kind of thing in the future.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

RavenStandsAlone wrote:http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?ii ... US+support
This link just points to the support page not to any specific drivers. Following the 845 chipset line eventually leads to a page stating this
In general, many Linux* distributions already include Intel® graphics drivers. If you are looking to update your driver, Intel recommends checking on availability and obtaining precompiled driver packages from your Linux distribution vendor or computer manufacturer. Support for these drivers will be through your Linux distribution vendor or computer manufacturer.
There is also a link to http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org with this comment
The linked site below is not under the control of Intel and Intel is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. Intel reserves the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. Intel does not endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this Site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
The conclusion is that Intel does not provide graphics drivers for linux direct to end-users.
RavenStandsAlone wrote:I don't care about the drivers that came in this version of Linux, I want to load my own drivers that I get directly from the vendor. How do I run the install program?
Linux is not Windows and does not work in the same way. You will find most manufacturers do not provide drivers for linux which is why hardware support can sometimes be tricky. I'm sorry but I am not able to assist you further.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
adrian_badertscher

Post by adrian_badertscher »

With each software for linux, it should have a 'README' or 'INSTALL' or what ever, to read.

First you have to unpack the tarball like in console: tar xvfz filename.tar.gz / .tgz (if it's a tar.gz - tgz file) or tar xvjf / filename.bz2 (if it's a tar.bz2)
Then you can change in this directory (in console): cd filename/
Then you can read the file (in console): nano -w 'README/INSTALL/what ever'

There is a describtion to install the package. If it's a source package (with sourcecode to compile), it has dependencies -> it would say it if it's so. :)

Good luck!

Adrian Badertscher

Return to “Hardware Support”