Restore Mint 20 Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plzhlp
Level 1
Level 1

Restore Mint 20 Themes

Post by plzhlp »

I recently upgraded from Mint 20 to Mint 21.

I've gone through every single theme available, and tried getting used to the new changes. Unfortunately, no matter how open-minded I try to be, I really, REALLY hate the new changes :( . I've tried downloading a few from the community area, but I like those even less.

I don't understand this obsession with constantly making things different, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the old look. My brain simply cannot adapt to this change, and it's starting to seriously impact my productivity. I really just want the old themes restored. I'm considering downgrading as a result, but fear this will hurt me when Mint 20 goes EOL.

What process can I follow to install Mint 20 themes on Mint 21?

Kind regards
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Restore Mint 20 Themes

Post by xenopeek »

Which Linux Mint are you using? Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce?

What part of the themes specifically don't you like?
- mouse pointer
- applications (the way buttons and controls in apps look)
- icons (the file and folder icons in your file manager, and the app icons in your menu)
- desktop (the way the panel / task bar looks)

Or do you mean how the panel looks, with just showing the icon for open apps and grouping their windows?

I haven't used Linux Mint 20 but probably Mint-L themes (L for legacy I think) should be more familiar. The Mint-L application, icon and desktop themes are installed by default.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

plzhlp wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:09 am I don't understand this obsession with constantly making things different, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the old look. My brain simply cannot adapt to this change, and it's starting to seriously impact my productivity. I really just want the old themes restored. I'm considering downgrading as a result, but fear this will hurt me when Mint 20 goes EOL.
You are not the only one. Mint-legacy is not the same as the old Mint-Y theme. I copied the Mint-Y folder from a LM20.3 install* and renamed it Mint-Y-old. Then copied Mint-Y-old to /usr/share/icons.
Screenshot from 2023-12-26 13-01-26.png
* Easy for me, I have LM20.3 installed on my backup drive - just in case something goes wrong with LM21.2 on the main system drive.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
plzhlp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plzhlp »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:34 am Which Linux Mint are you using? Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce?
> Cinnamon.

I've rolled back to Mint 20. I might stay here, because it fixes non-theme issues I had as well (the clipboard tool has lost features I've gotten used to, latest Cinnamon has icon problems, recovery mode no longer works at all thus putting me in danger of an inaccessible system, power management is broken, more things I forget now).

To answer your question on what I don't like about the themes:
* You can no longer mix and match themes. On 20 I can select the window border theme, and control theme. For example, I can select Mint-Y-Grey for my controls (buttons, checkboxes, etc.) and Mint-Y-Dark for my window border. In the new setup, all of that is ONE thing..
* The new Mint-Y should not have been called Mint-Y. If they called it something like Mint-Z, fine, but is a brand new theme with the name of an old theme.
* Mint-X has been removed.
* The controls themes have strange colors that hurt my brain. The built-in window border themes are weirdly placed and trigger my OCD.

Seeing as you've not seen the old theme Window, here's an example of what it looks like:

Notice how I can mix and match things. Notice how, in the settings windows itself, the title bar is nice and dark, allowing my eyes to immediately snap to the top of the window. The contrast between the controls is just right, and borders are clearly defined.

Not one of the new themes look good to my eye.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”