Video Freezes and Audio Cuts Out [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeliberty

Video Freezes and Audio Cuts Out [solved]

Post by joeliberty »

Hi all, I have been using Linux Mint now for close to a year with no problems. This is weird, but all of a sudden I have been having problems with video freezing up across Gnome Player, VLC, and Mplayer. This is really strange because it ran fine for so long. I am using Mint 8 currently on a 32bit system. I am pasting my hardware into this post as well. Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried cleaning up and running dpkg.....no success. Thank you ahead of time!

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 LE AGP [Radeon HD 2400 PRO AGP]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
02:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Video Freezes and Audio Cuts Out

Post by remoulder »

When did you install/upgrade to mint 8? Did your problems start after this?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joeliberty

Post by joeliberty »

I upgraded to Mint 8 about 3 months ago and it was fine up until a couple of days ago. My wife may have ran an update and I have no way of knowing, but as powerful as Linux is, I know there has to be a way of knowing. Thanks for your time and I appreciate the reply!

Also, is this right? Why would my video card be listed as an audio device???

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 LE AGP [Radeon HD 2400 PRO AGP]
01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 audio device [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Before you upgraded, were you running the ATI drivers or the open source radeon driver and if the former, did you update that after installing mint 8? The video card is not being shown as an audio device, your card contains an onboard sound card for HD audio and that is what you are seeing in the listing.

You can check the history of updates from the mintupdate menu.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joeliberty

Post by joeliberty »

Thanks for your help here. I am learning some things (like the on board sound card for HD). To answer your question, when I upgraded to Mint 8 I was running an Nvidia video card. I started using this ATI graphics card about 6 weeks ago and I used Envy-NG to uninstall the Nvidia card and install the ATI graphics card. It worked great for the last 6 weeks. Maybe I need to check and see if the video card is seated well. I was into the machine about two weeks ago to replace an old DVD-ROM that was going bad and I could have bumped something or caused something to become unseated. My wife says that is when it started, but I tested things out after and I did not see a problem. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time again!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

joeliberty wrote:I was into the machine about two weeks ago to replace an old DVD-ROM that was going bad and I could have bumped something or caused something to become unseated
It's quite possible but the graphics would freeze randomly in that case, not just when you're accessing video? If you replaced the DVD, does it freeze when you're watching DVD's only, what about online videos or videos on the HDD if you have any? I'm wondering if it's the drive that's causing your problem rather than the graphics card.

joeliberty

Post by joeliberty »

I have not tried any DVD's, but I have recorded a number of video's and loaded them onto the machine. These are the video's that are freezing. Sometimes they will play and the audio will just go away. Other times I lose both. I popped an audio CD using Rhythmbox and I would lose the audio on it after a few seconds. Could the Alsa sound-mixer be the problem? Why would that affect video if it was??? Graphics are fine outside of playing video's.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

This is puzzling! Is your hard drive access light constantly on? How is your DVD drive connected, SATA or PATA? If the latter is the jumper set correctly? You might also try powering off and unplugging the DVD drive and then try your videos just to discount that as the cause. I would suggest you check everything is seated and connected properly.

Did you check if any updates were installed around the same time you started having the problem? I assume nothing else changed on your system otherwise? Also have you checked the video settings in the Catalyst Control Centre?

joeliberty

Post by joeliberty »

The cables are SATA that connects my DVD drives to the board. I will check them tonight when I get home. Also, the processor light does flash when I am running video's, but it is not stressed out. It operates normally. I will check those connections tonight. You know, I do recall some kind of ATI Catalyst Software on the Mint Menu after installing the graphics card, but I could never get into it. When I clicked it, nothing happens, so I figured it must be cosmetic or just not working properly. My graphics are working fine (including 3-D) so I just kept on trucking along. I will double check that and some other things and report back here! Thanks for your help and maybe we can both learn something out of this experience! Take Care.....cheers!
joeliberty

Post by joeliberty »

Everything seems to be working now. I think it was one of those cables or something (SATA). Thank you for all the help here!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

joeliberty wrote:Everything seems to be working now
You're welcome, glad you got it sorted.

Return to “Sound”