(Solved partly) KDE doesn't allow me to look at NTFS

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nooby

(Solved partly) KDE doesn't allow me to look at NTFS

Post by nooby »

Only partly solved. Seems to be made that way so one need to get permission and that most likely is done by creating a new user and giving that one such permissions.

So I gave up on it, Too difficult to learn.

original text

I have Linux Mint KDE CE 8 frugally installed on booted NTFS HDD but seems not allowto look at it?
Had no such problem in Ubuntu 9.10

Is there something I need to set in the System or Admin of users or something that would make KDE as feature rich as Ubuntu on using the NTFS HDD it is booted on. It does show the factory recovery partition but not the one it is installed on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: KDE CE 8 doesn't allow me to look at booted NTFS HDD?

Post by Husse »

Sorry but you can't install on a NTFS disk - that's no Linux file system
Please clarify
Might be different if it's a live USB pen drive
nooby

Post by nooby »

Thanks Husse, Yes it works from the USB install. I tested this just some 10 minutes ago.

Mint is based on Ubuntu and the SuperOS "live session user" does allow me to play music and read html and look at pictures on the HDD it is installed on in frugal mode.

So why would Mint not allow it?

And the Exton remix or remaster of Mint 8 does allow it too. So why does not Mint KDE CE allow it?

I think it is something basic I miss. Some see the HDD as CDROM due to me being in a "live session user" and that is normally a CDROM thing. So maybe I just try to go into HDD the wrong way? Some distros place it in Media and some in Host and some name it Compaq and some name it HP and what does Mint KDE CE name it.

If Mint 8 Gnome can do it then Mint KDE CE should be able to too?

this is the best distro I ever have tested so it is sad it fail on this basic need of the user. I have just to be told how it is done on KDE CE.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm sorry but I have lost track
Again you say booted NTFS - to me that indicates that the system that is running uses NTFS and then it's self contradictory to say you can't look at it
Any Mint from version 3 or 4 can read and write to NTFS
How is it installed?
Or is it in live mode with USB that does not work?
"some name it Compaq and some name it HP " - what?
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I think it has to do with KDE permissions.

The confusing part is that the thread title says Mint KDE can't see a booted NTFS HDD but you can't be running Mint KDE from NTFS.

Do you mean mounted NTFS HDD?

Please run this boot info script

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

And reply with the results.

Here's the instructions on how to run the script

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
nooby

Post by nooby »

Sorry I don't remember the detail anymore.
Because it did not work I deleted it and used Ubuntu instead and that one does work.
But This one is a better distro so I would prefer that one instead.

LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso

to do as you say would need very much work.
I did it for the Ubuntu but the file has more than 8000 chars in it.

What exact info from it do you need to base an opinion on?

My wild guess is that persmissions of "live session user" is set up differently for KDE CE due to some policy.

LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso works well from USB but not from the NTFS internal HDD which Ubuntu does very well. Has used it daily for more than a week hours on end and no issue what so ever.

But LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso is a better distro so sad that something fail there.

Are your suggestion me go into permissions somewhere and look how it is in Ubuntu and then hide the Ubuntu and unhide the Mint KDE CE and see if they treat same drive in a different way?

That would be very helpful only if one knew how to change the permission easily without having to remaster the iso?

Why I don't want to continue using the usb flash? Because AFAIK the desktop LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso is not made for running on a flash memory, it will wear it out very soon compared to if I had a Netbook Remix of LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso that only wrote to the usb at shutdown or when I tell it to write. Now I am sure of that it behave as any linux? it writes at least once each 60 seconds or has that been commented out in the "live session" CD version?

How can one test how often it writes? are there any CLI command that list a log for writing to usb?
nooby

Post by nooby »

Wow surprise. I doesn\t even list the HDD. It list the recovery partition of the HDD but not Compaq as Ubuntu does.

So most likely it is a permission thing? How does one as live session user mount the HDA1 or what wthe name can be.

I should go into CLI and write

sudo ls ?
to get to know its name and what user own it and if I can become that user. What username and password does the uid 1000 have then? there seems to be one user named 0 and one named 1000 and I am most likely now 0 with limited rights.

I am user id999 and name is mint but have no clue on password most likely just enter?
Last edited by nooby on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nooby

Post by nooby »

searching the forum I found this hopefully related thing. Mint seems to have another policy than Ubuntu.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=10272

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 316#p63316
sudo mkdir /mnt/<any name>
sudo mount /dev/sda<device number> /mnt/<the name above>
I have to test this. Is that cli code proper. if I have a recovery partition that is first is that sda1 and the vista partion sda2 or
is the recovery sda0 and vista sda1?

would this code give me write permission if I am a live session user? I have in that permission in Ubuntu.

I tried this but it failed

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/compaqhdd
mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/compaqhdd
fuse: mount failed: Device or resource busy

trying another code it says

mint@mint ~ $ sudo mount /sda1 /mnt/compaqhdd
mount: special device /sda1 does not exist

see, I have to find out what drives that it can see and what it names them. I 've searced and searched for what code to use.
could some one lead me on?
nooby

Post by nooby »

I have found another maybe related thread.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8993
drive Mount problems on Daryna 044

His solution was not for us newbies

here is what he did.

Re: drive Mount problems on Daryna 044

Postby roadrash on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:40 pm
I found a solution that works. Maybe this needs to be added to the next release.

The problem was solved by adding the following file
20-ntfs-config-write-policy.fdi in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/
with the following contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
<match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
<merge key="volume.fstype" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
<merge key="volume.policy.mount_filesystem" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
<append key="volume.mount.valid_options" type="strlist">locale=</append>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Then i did a reboot and all worked.
Last edited by roadrash on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 am,
I don't trust me to be able to do this every time I boot into the Mint.

There has to be a better easier solution? Is this some ideological thing in the Community Edition policies making it this hard when it just works in Ubuntu. I want to use Mint due to codecs and such works out of the box but to not be able to mount the HDD is not acceptable.

There must be some option I don't know as a newbie.
nooby

Post by nooby »

Could someone help me please!

Is it as difficult as the user describe in my quote above?

or do I only have to give it a name and then do as the first quote says?
sudo mkdir /mnt/<any name>
sudo mount /dev/sda<device number> /mnt/<the name above>
I got error on that one because I am not used to naming in linux.
do I have sda or hda or something else? How do I know if it is /dev/ or /mnt/ or /media/ ?
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Is Mint KDE installed to your hard drive or are you running it as an ISO?
Husse

Post by Husse »

markcynt wrote:Is Mint KDE installed to your hard drive or are you running it as an ISO?
Important!
Before we know how you are running it we can't help you - and neither Mint nor Ubuntu can run on NTFS unless it's wubi or mint4win which currently does not work on Mint8 (to be honest I don't know why it takes so long to fix that)
nooby

Post by nooby »

Thanks.

I gave up on using mint frugal install.
Ubuntu works rather well though.

since then I have done a full install on an older Compaq Presario 8000 with 500mb RAM and sadly only 10GB HDD just to learn linux.

I now try to learn how to dual boot with puppy 431 standard. So I start a new thread about that one.

Return to “Software & Applications”