ARM version of Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: ARM version of Linux Mint

Post by SMG »

tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 am I already tried it on github but got very few responses so far
So you're saying there wasn't much interest so you decided to try another avenue to drum up interest? :mrgreen:
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 amI'm just kindly asking whether it would be possible to setup a builder for aarch64 and start building the Mint packages QUIETLY
You posted on the forum announcing you planned to share the packages you made. Too late for QUIET. ;)
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 amIt has a very similar wording in many countries of the world ... a non-profit research is usually fine.
Linux Mint is not set up as a non-profit. And to pre-empt your probable next question, I don't know Irish law or the reason why. I'm not a lawyer in any country.
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 amUnless you build all the packages manually, the alpha phase wouldn't take much commitment as it only requires to setup a builder and automate the builds to be triggered by a successful x86 build.
I don't build packages. I'm a forum moderator and not a Linux Mint dev.
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 amI'm just curious ... why is the team very small?
What FOSS team is large? People are doing unpaid work in their free time. There's not a lot of people willing to commit to doing that on an ongoing basis.
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pm1.) There are more than 100 million aarch64-based computers sold worldwide (RaspberryPi is on top with nearly 30 milion pcs)
A Raspberry Pi is not a laptop the average Joe or Jane who'd use Linux Mint walks out of a store with.
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pmThe new Chromebooks come with Snapdragon, MediaTek and Qualcomm CPUs and I think the trend is starting right now.
Getting Chromebooks currently to work on Linux-based distros can be problematic. :(
tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pmThere will never be a moment you'd feel idle enough to say "everything is done". Right? :D
Any kind of software development runs in cycles related to releases and there are times in roadmaps for breathing room and looking at other options. However, considering Linux Mint will be moving to a new base for LM22 this summer and there has been a lot of interest with Wayland (even though it was clearly stated it was experimental and alpha level) this isn't really an ideal time right now.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RogerBytes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RogerBytes »

tavvva wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pm
xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:24 am We've had a discussion about it in the team. Linux Mint isn't opposed to Aarch64 support but as with any addition there has to be a sufficient demand for it. Are there many people wanting to run Linux Mint on Aarch64 or is it super niche?
That's difficult to answer without doing a proper survey, but we could at least do a best guess based on the available statistics:

1.) There are more than 100 million aarch64-based computers sold worldwide (RaspberryPi is on top with nearly 30 milion pcs)
2.) Linux Mint is currently second in the popularity rankings on distrowatch
xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:24 am Right now aside from Apple Mx laptops there are what, a handful of Aarch64 laptops? The team can likely add Aarch64 to the package builds but it would increase build times, file transfers, storage etc. If it becomes more common that the average Joe or Jane who'd use Linux Mint can walk out of an electronics store with a new Aarch64 laptop, maybe. No promises though.
The new Chromebooks come with Snapdragon, MediaTek and Qualcomm CPUs and I think the trend is starting right now.
xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:24 am With wayland, libadwaita, snap, etc. there are plenty big things for the team to work on this year.
There will never be a moment you'd feel idle enough to say "everything is done". Right? :D
xenopeek wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:24 am I get that's not what you were hoping for and I'm sorry if it disappoints. Thank you for outlining your idea though.

There are other distros for Macs, Raspberry Pi's and such.
Nah :D I already have Mint on my Raspberry Pi and it is staying there :D

http://tavvva.net/files/linux/linux-mint-rpi4.jpg
Hello tavvva,

Your project sound great, but why not just call this something else than "Linux Mint" ?
Just don't use artwork from mint, if people want some wallpaper it's not an issue to add them manually. Other components, except name and wallpaper, are free to use.

Creating a fork dedicated for testing isn't that bad, and all the work behind could be merged later by the mint team.
Obviously, this can be very useful later if you plan to manage the tickets etc.

Like you, I'm not satisfied yet with other distros on arm.
Maybe I'll switch to Arch Linux later, but I'm kinda lazy, LM does the job pretty well, definitely the best distro right now.
Don't hesitate to send me pm if you need a tester. :)

Best regards.
Pleasures have an end, just like sorrows.

HP Pavilion 15-p172nf | LM 21.3 x64 | Cinnamon 6.0.4 | Kernel v5.15.0-92 | Intel i7-4510U | NVIDIA 840M | 15919MiB
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

RogerBytes wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:38 pm Your project sound great, but why not just call this something else than "Linux Mint" ?
As I understood it tavvva compiled the software for ARM for their own use, not for distribution. A "I'll do it myself" project if you will, not a "I'm publishing a distro" project :wink:
RogerBytes wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:38 pm Other components, except name and wallpaper, are free to use.
Nitpicking but just to be clear: "free to use" doesn't mean "do whatever you want". Most Linux Mint developed software is published under the GPLv2 or GPLv3 licenses — see the COPYING or LICENSE file in the GitHub projects — and all the terms of the applicable license needs to be complied with when distributing the original or modified software.

I think we should leave it at that. As previous mentioned viewtopic.php?p=2420702#p2420702 this has been floated up to the developers but for now a Aarch64 Linux Mint isn't happening but it may be revisited. Patches for Linux Mint software to solve issues on Aarch64, as tavvva did, are probably welcome.
goxamnesia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goxamnesia »

tavvva wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:04 pm
SMG wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:05 pm
tavvva wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:11 pm...I'll share them or create the very first Mint/aarch64 repository...
Please see this post. Rebuilding Mint packages means you are creating something new and should be removing Linux Mint branding so people are aware it is not software from Linux Mint and support will be coming from you and not the Linux Mint team.
Well, this is very controversial topic ... the linux distributors often patch upstream software and then release it without removing info about upstream to keep the credits where they belong. It's probably a question for legal department what level of modification can still be considered negligible enough so that the result couldn't be called a derived work.
If the Mint team is so afraid of reputational damage, then it's also good to think about reputational damage caused by missing support for aarch64 that is wanted by a group of Mint fans.
I never wanted to create a new distribution ... I only wanted to help with the porting of Mint to aarch64 and also mentioned the aarch64 support could be marked experimental just to avoid any kind of reputational damage. I'm pretty sure it would be absolutely apparent to everyone who would like to try it and some kind of liability disclaimer would also be mentioned in the deployment procedure if it is ever required ...
I believe the above modifications with keeping the Mint artwork could be considered "fair use" according to the law ... I have no profit from the activity and my goal is to help those who are in need.
So far I've deployed Linux Mint to more than a hundred of computers including non-profit sector and schools, doing enlightenment whenever and wherever possible. So, I'm not an enemy :)
tavvva i have read your discussion and seems you are awesome :D Just wondering if you have made any progress yet in the time that has past.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”