A basic question.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

A basic question.

Post by keithp »

I have been trying Mint Bea and like it very much. Congratulations to the developers!

But I have a very basic question about it. Basically, Mint is a "much improved" Ubuntu.

Are the improvements in the 'core' packages, or just in the Gnome packages?

Why I ask, the repositories contain the Ubuntu KDE packages - at least, that is what appears to be the case. If I was to install KDE from the repositories, would I have a distro which is identical to KUbuntu (as would be the case if your improvements were not of the core packages), or would it be 'KUbuntu-improved?

I can't find the answer to this on your web site.

Being on capped broadband, I really would like to know, so that I can decide whether to use some of my limited broadband to download the KDE stuff.

Many thanks, and sorry for such a basic question.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Thanks for your reply, riozano.

I think I will stay with the Gnome version of Mint, and try the KDE version when Clem brings one out.

Keith
hysteresis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hysteresis »

I don't know about kubuntu, but I have loaded KDE (and the 200meg of associated stuff) without a problem.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

hysteresis wrote:I don't know about kubuntu, but I have loaded KDE (and the 200meg of associated stuff) without a problem.
Same here. I am using KDE as my primary desktop on LinuxMint 2.0 "Barbara". Installed everything via synaptic, and the automatic resolving of dependencies did the rest for me.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Thanks for your help everyone.

I'll install KDE over the week-end and have a play with it.

Incidentally, I found out about Mint on the PCLinuxOS forum. Several people wrote how good Mint was. So I thought I would try it. They were correct!

Cheers

Keith

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”