permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moheganer2
Level 1
Level 1

permissions

Post by moheganer2 »

i recently installed mint and like it very much.I have an external hard drive that i keep media files on from windows.i can read them and play them on amorok and mplayer but cant write them or delete them.I am not the owner dont have permission.Is there a way to change this? Who is the owner?Any help would be appreciated or a place to get help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint moheganer2
media files on from windows
Does this mean that it's ntfs or Fat32?
If so they get automounted by mintDisk
Give us some more information so we can help you.
moheganer2
Level 1
Level 1

external hard drive

Post by moheganer2 »

the hd is ntfs 60gb-has media files- listed as disk on the desktop-can read and play the files-in /media/disk file-cant write or delete files- do not have permission
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: external hard drive

Post by scorp123 »

moheganer2 wrote:the hd is ntfs 60gb
NTFS is a undocumented + closed-source Microsoft technology. I suggest you use Linux-native file systems instead? e.g. Ext3?
Husse

Post by Husse »

You got scorp123's auto reply :)
He does not like M$
But he is right.
If you can't change from ntfs we must fix the problem
Take a look in /etc/fstab
If your external drive is listed there in ANY way mintDisk will not mount it.
If so back up fstab (sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak1)
and then open it and delete the entry for this disk (but nothing else) - you need sudo to do that.
Now it should be mounted r/w - if not post back and we'll dig deeper
moheganer2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moheganer2 »

thanks to those who replied to my question. I reinstalled Mint and somehow established myself as owner instead of root.In any case, ican now read, write, and delete anything in external hd even though they are ntfs.I have tried 6 or 7 distros and have never had this happen or have anyone been able to get this result. A miracle!
Husse

Post by Husse »

A miracle!
That has existed in Mint since Bianca
God luck!
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

This is an Ubuntu based problem. In reviews of Ubuntu the issue of not being able to have read/write access to external drives is an issue. It is hit and miss. I have an external drive that when mounted on my home laptop I have write permissions and at work when I mount my work laptop I do not have write permissions.

I have never had this problem with PCLinuxOS or other non-ubuntu distros.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Two things
1) To label a disk in Mint is easy, when you've learned how to do it :) You use f2label, see man f2label (needs sudo)
2) It seems that connecting a USB disk when the computer is already running gives a read only disk. If it's connected all through the boot you get R/W

Return to “Beginner Questions”