Speed up your internet.

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Speed up your internet.

Postby Detective RooTz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:31 am

[align=center][size=large]WORKS WITH EVERYTHING THAT USES DNS! INCLUDING XBOX 360 + PS3[/size][/align]

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Try out namebench. It hunts down the fastest DNS servers available for your computer to use. namebench runs a fair and thorough benchmark using your web browser history, tcpdump output, or standardized datasets in order to provide an individualized recommendation. namebench is completely free and does not modify your system in any way. This project began as a 20% project at Google.

namebench runs on Mac OS X, Windows, and UNIX, and is available with a graphical user interface as well as a command-line interface.

Enjoy :) I gained 254% speed.

Thanks is always appreciated!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Step 1. Download NameBench

Step 2. Run NameBench

Step 3. Look at the top right of your HTML log, and in the box where it says "recommended configuration (fastest and nearest)" note the top 2 servers

Step 4. Use the first two DNS from step 3 with the following guide

Windows XP: http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/changing_dns_xp.shtml
Windows Vista: http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/dns/changing_dns_xp.shtml(step 6)
Windows Seven: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15037-dns-addressing-how-change-windows-7-a.html

This tutorial was not made by me. It was made by a friend and I'm just posting it. However, it really does work//

Staff - I didn't know what spot to put it in so if it's in the wrong place. Can you move it.
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Speed up your internet.

Postby Detective RooTz on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 am

Now for linux. You would want to download the files still/ Open up nautilus by typing sudo nautilus in the terminal. go to your File system AKA "/" then you would want to copy and drag the folder inside that zipped file to your computer. It should be named "namebench-1.1" after that is done open a terminal and type this and it should run perfectly.

"sudo python /namebench-1.1/namebench.py

Enter your system password if it asks for it. Mine does..

Let it run for about AVG:10 minutes. It should find you a good selection and tell you how much faster you got...

Copy the text go to terminal again and type "sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf" paste that in there save and exit and bam your faster.

However I do think it's that same files if not then it's this for sure as I downloaded these.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet ... 1298.shtml
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Detective RooTz on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:03 pm

This is not my tutorial. I give full credits to the creator.
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby remoulder on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:17 am

Wow a Google benchmark that surprise, surprise, says Google's own DNS servers are faster, who wud've thort it, <gulp>!

So you honestly believe another DNS server could be 15189% faster? Really truly?

Is it just me or does anyone else not want to PaWN themselves completely to Google?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby Detective RooTz on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

wow. That's not bad. It actually works like that. What you get is true. And you're not "pawning" yourself to google. Just using then.
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby remoulder on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Detective RooTz wrote:you're not "pawning" yourself to google

How can I say this as nicely as possible, :o , I think you're being rather naive.

Just what benefit do you think Google gets from spending all that money to provide a complete alternative DNS structure for you to use when the existing one works perfectly well. You might ask yourself why a large advertising company would do that, and let me give you a suggestion - charity and the goodness of their heart don't come into it.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby DrHu on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I think the link to namebench would have been enough without the rhetoric and images from that link repeated in the forum..
    Unless you had some comments under the link yourself
No doubt Google can afford to provide fast hardware for DNS sevices, they do run a large free email system as you may know, Gmail, and no doubt they tested it before releasing that software discovering what they might already have determined, that their own dns servers were the fastest or closest to the fastest available
    That result depends on..
  • Their server's hardware
  • The dns server software they are running
  • Their network backbone and redundancy
Is it any surprise they can do well, especially with their own software
--and I would not dispute that they could very well be the fastest dns services available on the planet; no-one will be in any position to argue about it

However the point about twinning yourself to the Googleplex is just that, you are tying yourself more completely than already the case, if you use Google as your search engine: I don't
Despite that everyone is free to..
  • Facebook
  • twitter
--to their heart's content, just understand the risks involved..
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Detective RooTz on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Okay, whatever. Believe what you want. I've been using it and I see nothing wrong with it. It's faster. They don't steal anyone's information. So really they are for real. They might get some type of goverment funds for this but I don't care. As long as my internet is fast. Even if you had 3T connection. This still can speed it up even more. So it pwns. Um, yeah. :D Use it if you want. If you don't then don't bother and quit bothering with this thread :D
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby SeanBest on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:31 pm

My default ISP DNS was 200%+ faster than Googles.

:)
BIOSTAR TPower I45
Intel E8600
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
MSI HD4870 OC Edition
Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
Antec Nine Hundered
Corsair HX1000
Win 7 x64, Mint 8 x64
SeanBest
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:22 am

Detective RooTz you are young and naive as all youngsters
An improvement of 15189% is utter nonsense for anything and that includes DNS speed
Some people have some bad DNS servers there's no doubt about that, but expect an increase in performance with the decimal point three steps to the left
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Detective RooTz on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Husse wrote:Detective RooTz you are young and naive as all youngsters
An improvement of 15189% is utter nonsense for anything and that includes DNS speed
Some people have some bad DNS servers there's no doubt about that, but expect an increase in performance with the decimal point three steps to the left

Epic failure as a human. Dude, okay, this picture is not of my test. My increase was 98%. I have the unicorns DNS server out there. It's like dialup. I did get a 98% increase because my connection is now consdered a 25meg connection that's how fast it is and download and upload speed. before I could get a gig of a file in like 4 days. Now it's 12 hours.
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby feed3 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Husse wrote:Detective RooTz you are young and naive as all youngsters

...My increase was 98%. I have the unicorns DNS server out there...before I could get a gig of a file in like 4 days. Now it's 12 hours.

I'm not an expert at all, but i'm not totally newbie, had a little bit experiences on managing some small network for some small companies.
From my understanding, the speed of your connection is depend on various elements and not solely depends on your DNS server. If you want to view one site for example http://www.blogspot.com and the loading of the page was slow, is it because of your DNS? not necessarily. If you want to download mint helena kde ce iso's file that 1gb+ in size, your download is slow and will finish in 1 day, your DNS to be blame? not necessarily.

your computers speed depend on the performance of your motherboard, your ram, processor, and even the power supply. so does your internet. it depend on the line you subscribe, the machine you run, the hardware you use (your router and so son) then the software you use (the browser,the download manager,the driver of the hardware and of course the OS itself) and dont forget, it also depend on various setting you set it up. so, how come you can show up and simply said, DNS server setting is the culprit of my slow connection? for that reason i agree with husse that you are so naive. it is just one of the factor, that's all but at least thats what i believe. of course you or the others might think differently and as i said, i'm not an expert at all. so, maybe some of what i said might be wrong.

*edit; should be i'm wrong in somewhere i said above, please do not hesitate to point it out so that i can learn from it. i hope i wont insulting someone here. :-)
cheers :-)
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 am

Even 98 % better DNS seems much, but if you have big problems with DNS that can slow down your connection
If your connection needs to ask a lot of DNS questions (non technical language here) a bad DNS can slow things down
4 days (= 96 hours) to 12 hours is as a matter of fact 800%
But 12 hours for one GB that's no 25 Mbps connection - that's dial up and even with 54 (or was it 56? ) kbps it should take less than six hours
As a comparison I download the Mint KDE 1.1 GB in about 25 minutes with a 8 Mbps connection
It's time to complain at your ISP if the figures are accurate
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby feed3 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 am

Husse wrote:As a comparison I download the Mint KDE 1.1 GB in about 25 minutes with a 8 Mbps connection

i wish i could enjoy that kind of speed here in my hometown :( downloading of mint kde x64 iso took me almost 8 hours several days ago :(
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:21 am

Well Sweden is in the front line for fast internet together with South Korea and a few other countries
I read the other day that 40% of the households have fiber into their homes (not all use it though) but I'll "never" get that considering I live in a small village
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Dodge on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:00 am

feed3 wrote:
Husse wrote:As a comparison I download the Mint KDE 1.1 GB in about 25 minutes with a 8 Mbps connection

i wish i could enjoy that kind of speed here in my hometown :( downloading of mint kde x64 iso took me almost 8 hours several days ago :(

I agree with you. I'd love to have that connection. Its twice what I have now.

I downloaded Mint KDE a few days back and the best I could get was 270kbps.(Kilobytes not bits) There was a major slow down somewhere between me and their server.
Dodge
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mzsade on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I had tried Open DNS sometime back but couldn't connect using it because, to quote Open DNS support "your ISP probably doesn't allow proxies". I am not very clear about setting up a connection and how networking works (my connection is automatic DHCP and i never had to do any manual configuring), so what do i do after i run namebench.py and get the best possible server? I know you are all aghast at the 'stupidity level' but please bear with me.
Last edited by mzsade on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cool0 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 am

Thanks friend...
I check my speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ .It's very slow..I try to increase this..
cool0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Detective RooTz on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:42 pm

feed3 wrote:

I got about eh same time as you.

It takes me about 20 hours for 8gigs. Or maybe 15 depends if I'm the only one on my connection at the time.

My school has 15 megs. I might download a few iso's to a USB from there :P
Detective RooTz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby _h_ on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Detective RooTz wrote:wow. That's not bad. It actually works like that. What you get is true. And you're not "pawning" yourself to google. Just using then.

Google tracks *everything* you do going through their DNS, another reason why I use OpenDNS.
_h_
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Code & Patches